Working Part-Time?

Amanda Louise

How feasible is it to do photography work part-time? I have a career that I'm happy with, but I wouldn't mind extra income. I'd want to devote about ten hours a week to this. Is photography a field that is friendly to part-timers, or should I look elsewhere for extra income?

Vivid

It depends on how much time you devote to your career. I think that photography is best done full-time because of the amount of time it consumes. Most part-time photographers end up pursuing it full-time.

TheBlueElephant

Right now, I aim for part-time hours because I'm working on raising a family. I would eventually like to become full-time, but I'm not able to commit to that right now. Part-time is good for starting out, but for many people, full-time is the goal.

Vivid

Right now, I aim for part-time hours because I'm working on raising a family. I would eventually like to become full-time, but I'm not able to commit to that right now. Part-time is good for starting out, but for many people, full-time is the goal.
It is every photographer's goal to pursue photography full-time, even when the circumstances aren't favorable. We all agree that passion and dedication in photography can cause people to quit other careers taking up much of their time.

WidestScreen

I do a bit of photography work part-time, but that's because I'm in school and I can't make is work schedule wise to be full-time. As soon as I can after graduating, I plan to become full-time. I think that this is a field best done full-time. It's hard to give the work the attention it deserves an exclusively part-time basis.

JamesinJ

I started out part-time, but it didn't work out for me. It was difficult to balance photo shoots with my other job, on top of finding time to do the post shoot touch ups. At some point, it became too much to juggle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc