Why Are Child Actors Notoriously Bad?

SushiRoll

My girlfriend and I recently watched the famously bad M. Night Shyamalan live-action movie, The Last Airbender. Aside from the questionable writing and the scary CGI, I was struck by how bad the child actors were. Their performances seemed wooden and stiff and bland. Does anyone know why child actors are bad at acting? Is it due to their age and maturity level, or is there something else going on?

LifeCaptured

I haven't seen that particular movie or I might have a different opinion, but I tend to think child actors due a great job. It's usually the adult characters that sink it for me when a movie flops. Maybe the director made the children uncomfortable?

Plankton

The level of acting that a child actor portrays may vary depending on the genre of the movie. I find their performance good and natural when the movies are family-friendly and, apparently, in horror ones too.

Len S

I think you're being too hard on the children. That particular director may have been on so much of a budget, that B or C list type child actors were all he could afford.

Mentee

It may have something to do with maturity, but experience also has a role in it. Child actors would've had a shorter time in the industry compared to adults. And in terms of emotions, they would still be at an early phase handling it.

Starry

Sometimes, it could also be due to unclear instructions given by the adults or perhaps the director. There may be child actors who are scared to inquire about the directions that it comes to show later when they act on the scene.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc