Which films inspired you?

Paul Stevens

Which films ignited your passion for videography and what was it about those films that made you take notice? I first keyed in on the art of filmmaking while watching old Alfred Hitchcock films. He was a masterful storyteller. Alfred Hitchcock could build suspense with his filmmaking techniques like no other. He gave the audience more by showing less during that iconic shower scene in Psycho. He made generations of children afraid of ravens, crows, and other birds with that big attack scene in the attic during The Birds.

Editor

Whereas I can't recall a particular movie that propelled me in this direction, it was the curiosity that goes into producing documentaries that stirred my initial interest. Do you believe that natural talent determines how far you can go in terms of skills?

Rachel

Eyes Wide Shut was a big one. I absolutely hated it. I thought the symbolism failed and that Stanley Kubrick turned art into a skin flick. The whole time I thought about how I would film things differently. Have you ever done that? Watched a bad movie and thought about how you could improve it? Sadly, Kubrick hasn't asked for my assistance, but I'm prepared should the moment ever arise.

Fairytale Studios

I'm just now expanding into videography and seeing how kids respond to Disney movies and all the magic that seems to take place made me want to recreate similar scenes for children. It gives them a chance to live their own fairy tale.

That's funny @Rachel. I thought that movie was horrible too. Kubrick's been known to go off the deep end a time or two so I can't say it was totally unexpected. The previews were so good and the film was so bad.

Editor

Eyes Wide Shut was a big one. I absolutely hated it. I thought the symbolism failed and that Stanley Kubrick turned art into a skin flick. The whole time I thought about how I would film things differently. Have you ever done that? Watched a bad movie and thought about how you could improve it? Sadly, Kubrick hasn't asked for my assistance, but I'm prepared should the moment ever arise.
A keen photographer is always looking to improve things, and I am glad that your creativity resulted from seeing a bad movie. At times, you can look at an excellent photo or video shoot, and immediately invent new techniques.

The Aire

I remember when I first saw Blade Runner that I had never seen visuals quite like that before in a film. it made me see that you can go outside the usual visual parameters of what is accepted and still make something amazing that compliments the rest of the film.

Or in this case, made the film the classic that it is.

Chappel

The Shining is just one amazing scene after another. It works perfectly because the plot, script, acting and cinematography all work in unison. It's great when a film is so absorbing you can just watch and forget you are watching a film.

vlog2020

I think a mention must be given to 2001: A Space Odyssey as well. That really is one film that is best seen inside a cinema, with some spellbinding scenes. Kubrick is a genius.

Chappel

As you say, @Fairytale Studios, sometimes the previews and reviews can be so good but the film can turn out so bad. We have to add in a bit of our own personal taste when thinking about this, too. I sometimes wonder if I'm right in disliking a film when 99% of the population love it. I can give two examples - "Moulin Rouge" and "Mama Mia."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan