When you feel inadequate

Editor

What nobody will ever tell you is that feeling down about your craft or yourself is an integral part of the creative process. Even Michelangelo, one of the most famous painters, had so much self-doubt at times. It is during such moments that a photographer can change things up a bit. You can try black and white if you are used to shooting color. What is your usual way out of such situations?

Mobile 5

Shooting the easy targets. People or objects that are easy so I get good pictures that make it easy for me to say "That's a good one".

I boost my self confidence by going back to where I started.

vlog2020

Remember that Vincent Van Gogh thought his paintings were worthless in his own lifetime. Now he is one of the most celebrated and remembered artists of all time. I think if someone is really good at their craft, they will inevitably have an element of self-doubt within themselves.

Beck

You can shoot photos in other genres just as you can write, paint, etc..... It might help to pick up a paintbrush or a pen when the camera isn't doing it for you at the moment, just as you can shoot moving wildlife photos if you are used to shooting stills of plants.

That's what I would. Something entirely different for a bit of time.

Len S

I follow writers a lot and some of them have their demons that keep them from writing their usual stuff, or even writing at all. One that I follow very closely simply writes darker themed stuff instead of his usual light-hearted fare. Photographers can do the same. Start photographing things that reflect your current mood.

Last edited:

Portrait

Feeling inadequate is part of the process of growth, so we have got to find ways of lifting ourselves at such times. Moments of self-doubt mean that there is room for advancing and improving our craft.

cassie

A lot of sportsmen, particularly those that do not play in a team ( I'm thinking of golfers and snooker players ) use psychologists to help them when they have self-doubt about their ability. I wonder if top writers or artists do this too?

Pixels

Some of my best photographs got captured at moments of self-doubt. I always tell people that the best way to get over this sort of inadequacy is to get out there and do something. If you are a photographer, avail yourself somewhere and shoot the images away; an idea will form in your mind, and you'll be good to go.

Editor

Well, from your comments, I have gathered that we, at times, all go through periods where we doubt if we are on the right path. We should neither be discouraged nor think a lot about it; as long as we are doing something new each day, ideas will keep coming up.

Beck

Go abstract. Make a sign that says "Good" on it then put a circle with a slash over that word. Put it in a place with minimal or no backdrop and start taking pictures of it using different filters, lens, zooms, etc....

When you're done, print some of the clearest ones out and put them on a wall of prominence in your studio.

JamesinJ

Feeling inadequate is something that everyone goes through. When I'm feeling especially inadequate (not just relating to my work as a filmmaker and photographer) I look back at work I'm especially proud of. It reminds me that I've done good work before and I will do good work again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan