Using Amazon Mechanical Turk

Fairytale Studios

I recently used Amazon Mechanical Turk to screen one of my movie templates. With the new COVID variant running rapid in my city, I figured I'd need to get creative in order to get useable feedback. So, that's why I tried this method.

Pros:
  • Affordability. I paid a fee to Amazon and a fee to each Turker (the workers) who gave me feedback.
  • It was easy to filter out people and limit who could and couldn't respond to my HIT (what Amazon calls work). I filtered by location, age, income, and number of children.
  • It's easy to reject those who put in little effort. Amazon Mechanical Turk favors the work provider. You can reject all the work, and you still get to keep it. It honestly seems a little unfair. You're absolutely not going to get scammed from this end. It's pretty risk-free.
  • My work was completed quickly. Within a couple of days, I had all the results that I needed.
Cons:
  • If you don't live in a large city, or your work is unlikely to apply to the masses, then you'll be waiting for a while to find workers to complete your HIT.
  • There's a learning curve to setting everything up.
I know that we're all trying to work around the constraints of the pandemic, so I thought I'd share in case it helps someone else.

Davey

Thanks for the tip! I've thought about using them to screen a short video, but I went with an in-person focus group instead because it seemed more reliable at the time. I'll probably switch paths next time.

Ryan

I've heard about Amazon Mechanical Turk before, but I have never used it. There is another option I use for pretty much any task I need and it's called Microworkers. It's also affordable, and you can choose your demographics in detail too.

Kuki

Oh thank you so much for sharing this site. And thanks @Ryan for sharing that one too. I didn't even know there was a possibility to hire people for tasks like these! Neat :)

TheBlueElephant

I've never used either Amazon Mechanical Turk or Microworkers. How much should I expect to pay for a fee? I'd like to get some feedback on a project I'm working on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc