Thoughts on dubbing in different languages

Mushroom

What do you guys think? I always think it’s a bit strange to hear voices that don’t match the lips. I have seen dubbings of cartoons that all characters are done by a single male voice and there is almost no variation in the tone. I usually like to listen to the original voices instead.

cassie

I find badly synchronized dubbing to very off-putting, @Mushroom, and I'm sure most other viewers do too.
Much better to just put in simple subtitles, that should not obscure the viewing area too much, in my opinion.

Fairytale Studios

It takes a skilled professional to get it right, that's for sure. Then again, some shows are only worth watching because the synching is so bad. It becomes part of the fun, like with some of the old kung fu shows.

Vid Syd

What is being described is simply low budget. There are some people, I'm sure, that will try to mask that fact by saying that it's supposed to be over the top.

Madhatter

That might depend. I‘ve seen some good ones. It’s all up to their budgets that’s true. I like listening to the original one more as well. I prefer original voices with subtitles.

EyeView

I can relate to this when watching anime dubbed in English. It kinda removes the authenticity of the characters. There's somehow a lack in portrayal even though it's only an animation.

Culture Shot

I won't be able to enjoy watching that kind of cartoons if the dubbing isn't matched with the lips. I find it awkward when some series or movies are dubbed in another language because most of the time the translated voice ends up not being suitable for the character.

CreativeSet

What do you guys think? I always think it’s a bit strange to hear voices that don’t match the lips. I have seen dubbings of cartoons that all characters are done by a single male voice and there is almost no variation in the tone. I usually like to listen to the original voices instead.
It is the strangest thing to have ever happened. Much as the allocated budget may be the problem, it also depends on the authenticity. Some shows allow subtitles in various languages, which sounds like a better option.

Starry

I can relate to this when watching anime dubbed in English. It kinda removes the authenticity of the characters. There's somehow a lack in portrayal even though it's only an animation.
This is so true. I find it uncomfortable watching animations that have been dubbed in another language which is why I prefer subtitles over dubbed episodes. It comes off as lacking to me knowing that the voices are not the original ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc