The mirrorless hype

Editor

What is fuelling the fanfare around the mirrorless camera niche? I sincerely don't believe that these cameras will spell the end of DSLRs. Mirrorless technology is advancing at a rapid rate, but it will take a while for these cameras to be the sole choice for all photographers.

LifeCaptured

Anytime something new comes out 40% the photography world decry the new thing for being unnecessary, unimaginative, or too darn pricey, while another 40% swoon over the technology for being innovative and creative. The remaining 20% of us poke at it and wait to see what happens.

SamanthaL.

They generally weigh less and are more compact than your typical DSLRS models. If you travel a lot or you work long photo shoots then you know just how much those two qualities matter.

Fairytale Studios

They have some disadvantages, but to me it's incredibly beneficial to get a preview of the image on the LCD screen or monitor before I hit the trigger. Yes, I know that with digital photos I can delete bad shots with impunity, but being able to preview the image allows me to make minor adjustments beforehand which saves time. That's helpful when it comes to styling food and staging rooms specially.

Portrait

Anytime something new comes out 40% the photography world decry the new thing for being unnecessary, unimaginative, or too darn pricey, while another 40% swoon over the technology for being innovative and creative. The remaining 20% of us poke at it and wait to see what happens.
I agree with you. Whenever a new technology hits the market, there will always be different categories of people. Anyone purchasing a mirrorless camera now would be looking at it as a huge investment, considering how much they cost!

Vivid

They have some disadvantages, but to me it's incredibly beneficial to get a preview of the image on the LCD screen or monitor before I hit the trigger. Yes, I know that with digital photos I can delete bad shots with impunity, but being able to preview the image allows me to make minor adjustments beforehand which saves time. That's helpful when it comes to styling food and staging rooms specially.
Ooh, so this is achievable with the mirrorless cams? I would love such a capability as well. If you're able to make minor adjustments beforehand, then there's less time spent on deleting the bad ones.

Vid Syd

It's just another option. People go too far with new options by thinking they'll take over everything else that came before it. I don't think that's ever happened. You can still have a landline with a rotary phone if you want, for example. The cell phones didn't totally do away with that option.

ClickExpert

It's just another option. People go too far with new options by thinking they'll take over everything else that came before it. I don't think that's ever happened. You can still have a landline with a rotary phone if you want, for example. The cell phones didn't totally do away with that option.
Good point there and prices are not coming down either. I haven't paid much attention to the mirrorless cameras, but they could define the future. Do you foresee a time when every camera will be mirrorless?

Flair

I love the idea of owning a mirrorless camera with an electronic shutter. The operation is totally silent, and as I have an interest in wildlife photography, this would be great for me.
Also, on the Sony A9 for example, shutter speeds can go up to 1/32000 second, brilliant for capturing swift movement. There are birdwatcher hides at a place called Wetlands near where we live, I would love to take an A9 there.

Editor

I usually regard mirrorless cameras as devices that fall between the generic point and shoot and the professional full-frame DLSR systems. I think that gradually, these cameras are becoming common. In the past, it was more popular with photojournalists and street photographers.

Vivid

I usually regard mirrorless cameras as devices that fall between the generic point and shoot and the professional full-frame DLSR systems. I think that gradually, these cameras are becoming common. In the past, it was more popular with photojournalists and street photographers.
I agree with you. With time, mirrorless cameras will be so popular, and we'll be compelled to buy them. However, I doubt if the prices will come down anytime soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc