The Kuleshov Effect

Len S

Has anyone here ever heard of this before? I'm listening to a podcast that explains it, and it's very fascinating. Basically, it's the art of editing in such a way that the context of a scene changes by what you add to the scene.

That novice description doesn't do justice to what it is, but it's a fascinating topic that filmmakers take for granted now. It's simply the way films are made, but back when it all started, someone had to "invent" that.

Kuleshov

Ryan

I just researched this and wow it's interesting indeed. It's basically changing the meaning and sometimes the emotion that the viewers feel after seeing two sequential shots. The image in the article you shared explains it very well.

Vid Syd

Manipulating our perceptions is what they're doing.

But really, it's no different from seeing someone in real life in different circumstances. If I see an older man walking down a sidewalk with a much younger female, barely legal, I'll think "Must be a perv." But if I knew the female was a family member, that would change my perception of him to something more wholesome.

It's not exactly the same as Kulshov, but it's close.

Kuki

I had never heard about this before, until I read the article. It's so funny how the meaning of the scene can completely change by adding different settings to it.

@Vid Syd, that's an interesting way to look at it :D

TruthSeeker

Filmmakers can use this to their advantage by sequencing scenes in a way that'll confuse the viewers. It might be from this that people can experience better plot twists. Imagine two contrasting scenes that manage to fit because of how one would perceive it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc