Should I do an internship?

WidestScreen

I'm working on planning out my academic schedule for the upcoming semester (Fall 2021). I have to choose between taking a class with a professor I really like and taking an unpaid internship off campus. In your experience, is an internship worth it? I'm going into my junior year.

ePIC

It was absolutely worth it to me. It was a lot of work, but I found a couple of great mentors and made some connections that opened doors for me down the road.

LifeCaptured

Sometimes internships are just glorified ways for companies to get free labor. If you're reasonably sure that this internship will be beneficial to you, then I'd go for it. I worked to put myself through school and couldn't afford to do an unpaid internship, but I had friends who did internships and they all speak highly of the experience.

Derek

If you manage to get a good internship, it's always worth it. Maybe it's not paid, but it will definitely pay off in the future. You can't put a price on knowledge.

Silva

If you manage to get a good internship, it's always worth it. Maybe it's not paid, but it will definitely pay off in the future. You can't put a price on knowledge.
I agree. Knowledge is priceless. If you are young and have the time for it, I would suggest you go for that internship. It will definitely be worth it.

WidestScreen

Wow! Thanks for all the replies! :) I'm leaning towards the internship as it would be a really good chance to get hands-on field experience. I just have to figure out how to make it work financially! :LOL:

Willa

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd say do the internship! I'm no longer in school, but I'd definitely suggest getting hands-on experience in your field. Classwork is helpful and necessary, but there's nothing like getting hands-on work under the supervision of established professionals.

ShutterUp

Are there chances of you taking a class with this professor in the future? Whether paid or unpaid, internships are an excellent way to network and learn from others. You could even meet your next employer while interning!

WidestScreen

Are there chances of you taking a class with this professor in the future? Whether paid or unpaid, internships are an excellent way to network and learn from others. You could even meet your next employer while interning!
I will be able to take a class from her later in my academic career. I'm just worried about the unpaid aspect of the internship, but I think that that will eventually balance out with the networking opportunities and work experience I'll get.

PictureHub

I will be able to take a class from her later in my academic career. I'm just worried about the unpaid aspect of the internship, but I think that that will eventually balance out with the networking opportunities and work experience I'll get.
As a student, I remember how hard it was to secure an unpaid internship. There could be someone somewhere wishing they were in your shoes. Don't let this chance pass; you won't regret it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc