RIP Olympus cameras

Fairytale Studios

It's the end of an era. Olympus sold its camera division to an investment firm. That firm will probably use the Olympus name to make money, kind of like what happened to Kodak, but the Olympus as we know it will no longer make cameras. RIP to the Olympus camera division, you were loved by many 1936-2020.

Paul Stevens

I'm not surprised because it's been whispered about among industry insiders for years now and recently the mainstream media began talking about it, but I'm sad to see Olympus exit the market. Over the years Olympus created some remarkable ultra-compact cameras.

Rachel

It's sad to see anyone close down and of course, that means some people have lost their jobs. I hate that. I admit that I've never owned one though. Did you guys have a favorite camera that was made by the company?

ePIC

Their heyday was before my time. I know my dad had an Olympus camera that he used for years, but I can't remember which one it was. They were pricey cameras, but they were well-made and lasted for ages, so the price was probably worth it.

Paul Stevens

@Rachel, I had more than a few favorites. I've carried cameras from their Tough line for ages when travelling. I've also enjoyed one of their old waterproof cameras from the Infinity Stylus line. I think I had that one in the early 90s.

SamanthaL.

Did you guys have a favorite camera that was made by the company?
The Olympus Pen E-P1 is an oldie but a goodie that I've enjoyed using in the past. It was innovative during that time. Another good one was the DSLRS camera called the E-1. What I like most about their cameras is their compact size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan