Rating horror films

Fairytale Studios

Some horror flicks feature exquisite cinematography, while others leave a lot to be desired, and perhaps even more are so bad that they're good. How would you rate the horror films that have appeared on the scene in the past decade? For example, I think that any film from the Chucky franchise falls into the "so bad that it's good" category. You?

Mentee

Films like Sinister are on my list since it's far from the horror movies with those corny props that take away the creepiness. Horror films that I find worth watching are typically those with a back story.

Darlene

Although horror movies are my favorite, I must say that probably 99% of them are utter garbage. I think this genre lacks a lot of creativity. I haven't watched any new horror flicks lately, but I am sure they are far from even average quality.

Dominique

Films like Sinister are on my list since it's far from the horror movies with those corny props that take away the creepiness. Horror films that I find worth watching are typically those with a back story.
Oh wow that made me laugh LOL, because I actually really enjoyed watching the first movie of Sinister. I didn't like the second one though.

I do agree though that so many movies in this genre are substandard.

Fairytale Studios

I think this genre lacks a lot of creativity.
And that's so strange to me, because technology has improved to the point that horror flicks should be amazing. I have to wonder what some directors were thinking. On the other hand, I found Ready or Not quite appealing. The scene where she's in the "dungeon" amongst all those severed limbs and decaying bodies from earlier victims was brilliant cinematography.

Kuki

And that's so strange to me, because technology has improved to the point that horror flicks should be amazing. I have to wonder what some directors were thinking. On the other hand, I found Ready or Not quite appealing. The scene where she's in the "dungeon" amongst all those severed limbs and decaying bodies from earlier victims was brilliant cinematography.
I think there's only so much technology can enable movie makers to do. If there is a lack of creativity, the movie will be mediocre regardless.

Derek

Oh my God, I couldn't agree more. Sinister was absolutely horrible. I can't say I am a big fan of horror movies in general, but sometimes I watch them. Sinister was a waste of time.

Culture Shot

I'm not a fan of horror movies because it usually only focuses on surprising its audience. The content isn't that great for most unless the plot is based on a true story. What do you guys think of The Conjuring?

Mandy

I'm not a fan of horror movies because it usually only focuses on surprising its audience. The content isn't that great for most unless the plot is based on a true story. What do you guys think of The Conjuring?
The Conjuring was creepy enough, and it wasn't corny like some other horror films. Although, even that movie tried to spook with the surprising sound effects. I don't know. Maybe it's how horror movies work.

EyeView

Horror movies with a folklore aspect appear scarier to me because those will have some mystery to them. Who knows what's real, right? I don't find it creepy, though, when the props become too unnatural.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc