Question About Props

Kuki

How does one learn what props to use in photos? For example, I am always fascinated by food photography. Where do these photographers get ideas for the props they use in their work?

SamanthaL.

I use trendy things with animals because that's what my clients seem to like. I've wondered the same thing about food photography though. They always make it look so appealing, don't they?

Beck

Food is natural, so a good prop would be something that conjures up nature. Floral arrangements, food outside on a porch, etc.....

Props should have something in common with the subject IMO.

Markshot 12

We learn by doing. Photoshopping, for example, a backdrop onto the main subject matter can go wrong if you choose the wrong backdrop (which some see as a prop in some cases).

Take a picture of an elephant and photo shop a city-scape behind it (the prop) for juxtaposition, and it will probably back-fire.

Think outside the box sometimes, but don't stray too far.

TruthSeeker

Try to start minimally and gradually add props. There's not much aesthetics in my niche, but table cloth is what usually accompanies food. Regardless of the occasion, it helps in making things look more presentable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan