PTZ vs. GoPro vs. Drone for nature filming

SamanthaL.

Which camera do you think produces the best videography for nature films? I've run across some wonderfully detailed videos out there of eggs hatching in a wild bird's nest that were surprisingly filmed by a PTZ camera.

Rachel

PTZ cams are the best for live-streaming things like that in my opinion. I think drone cams are best for getting aerial shots that other cameras can't take while GoPro and BlackMagic cams are best for filming action scenes that will then head to production.

Marc

Drones are pretty limited because they can only hold a finite amount of footage unless you're paying big bucks for something a big movie producer would use. On the other hand, a PTZ camera can easily live-stream all day. They're built to work with computers and cloud storage. It's just easier to use.

SamanthaL.

That's true, @Marc. But then PTZ cams kind of limit usage by forcing you to stick by them. They aren't as versatile, I guess. Some drones can also take footage and send it directly to the cloud for storage. Or at least I think they exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc