Pricing Question

Kuki

How would you price a 10-minute documentary that requires you to drive every day for about a week to shoot different spots and talk to a few people? This could be my first potential job and I am really confused as to how much I should ask for. Any help would be appreciated :)

Silva

I think doing a bit of research will give you a fairly good idea. Maybe search on freelance platforms like Freelancer.com and the like? Just an idea.

Kuki

I think doing a bit of research will give you a fairly good idea. Maybe search on freelance platforms like Freelancer.com and the like? Just an idea.
Oh! I hadn't thought about freelancing platforms. I have never heard of Freelancer.com, but I know Upwork and Fiverr. I will try to get some quotes on those. Thank you :)

SamanthaL.

Is this your first film? I know you said it's your first job, but is it also your first professional shoot (some of us interned). If so, it will take you longer to do than you probably anticipate. Are you responsible for the finished product as well? Make sure you include that in your fee if so.

Reel Media

Bump up your estimate for sure! Boy did I make that mistake my first time out. Clients do not like to hear that it will cost them more than you estimated, especially if it's significantly higher and nothing dramatic changed to explain the shortage. I just wasn't good at estimating.

Fairytale Studios

I always tacked on a mileage fee and I based it off what the government determined a mile was worth for their own employees. I think it's a bit over .50 now. Just be sure to track your mileage. You might end up driving all over the place to meet with these people to interview them.

Rachel

You've gotten some great advice here, Kuki. I just wanted to stop by and wish you lots of luck. Shooting for that first paying client is something you'll always remember. I wish you well! Congratulations on landing your gig too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc