Photographs As Prompts

Beck

You see this on FB sometimes. A person will post a photograph then ask other members of a private group to write some fan fiction based on that photo. Sounds like a fun way to push yourself to take better photos or to become a better writer.

Has anyone tried this themselves?

vlog2020

This sounds really interesting, @Beck. It is the kind of thing I am into, as one of my ideas is to have short audio-books on YouTube that are accompanied with images. I have not tried the Facebook idea you describe, but I would like to.

The Aire

Sounds like somebody on FB is dredging up content for their blog. LOL

I can see the benefit of this though. It could help the photographer understand how others how view photo's so he could better market his work. Aim towards more specific markets, that is.

Markshot 12

Sounds like somebody on FB is dredging up content for their blog. LOL

LOL. Kind of like how some kids (They almost have to be) will ask questions on Quora or Reddit and it just smacks of kids wanting to others to do their homework assignments for them.

I can see this being beneficial for both parties though. It's a pretty good idea.

Editor

It can work two-fold; you get ideas for a blog like @The Aire says or based on other people's reviews, ways of bettering your craft. I would call this the best and easiest way to get content and advice.

Mobile 5

I would see that as more of a benefit for the writer.

Then the writer can turn around, post a paragraph of descriptive writing and ask photographers to post a shot they took, that compliments the piece written.

Portrait

I would see that as more of a benefit for the writer. Then the writer can turn around, post a paragraph of descriptive writing and ask photographers to post a shot they took, that compliments the piece written.
Absolutely! But how will the writer benefit from these shots (so to speak)? I would look at this as a way to generate new ideas or get inspiration for bettering the writer's craft.

Beck

When a writer gets writers block, a photo could serve as a prompt. Write about what you see instead of just making something up. People who tend to see the art in everyday living, see it everywhere.

Markshot 12

Write about what you see instead of just making something up. People who tend to see the art in everyday living, see it everywhere.

But a photograph is a still image. I get what you're saying but I would think a person would have to project a lot of their own imagination to make a story out of a still.

WidestScreen

One of my college classes did something like this. Two professors collaborated together. My photography class took still images and submitted them to the creative writing students. Those students then wrote a story based off the images my class had submitted. The two classes then met up and enjoyed the images and the stories. It was a really neat assignment!

ClickExpert

One of my college classes did something like this. Two professors collaborated together. My photography class took still images and submitted them to the creative writing students. Those students then wrote a story based off the images my class had submitted. The two classes then met up and enjoyed the images and the stories. It was a really neat assignment!
I believe that the creation of films follows a similar approach. There must have been countless narrations with different perspectives. Do you think that a photographer can also be a creative writer? Is it a skill that anyone can learn?

WidestScreen

I believe that the creation of films follows a similar approach. There must have been countless narrations with different perspectives. Do you think that a photographer can also be a creative writer? Is it a skill that anyone can learn?
I think that a photographer can be creative writer! After that class and assignment, I started dabbling in creative writing. I'm by no means an expert, but it's another creative outlet. Being a creative writer is just like any other skill. It takes lots of practice but anyone can do it!

EyeView

This is a cool idea especially if the crowd is diverse. The stories may give more ideas and insights to the photographer. Since writing with different perceptions will no doubt make the image's color change or at least what it appears to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc