Overdoing it?

Carrie

How much editing and "beautifying" is actually necessary when it comes to fixing lighting and colors? Do you ever feel like you are overdoing it sometimes?

Thoughts?

WidestScreen

I think that it really depends on the shot and how much time you want to put into it. If the lighting and colors were off, but otherwise it's a great shot, go for it! But, if it's not worth the effort, I wouldn't bother.

Sometimes, I feel that if I beautify a shot too much, I'm not accurately representing the subject of the shot. So I generally go for a "less is more" approach.

Vivid

You shouldn't modify an image to the extent that it doesn't look real. It is something that a photographer learns through practice, just the same way we perfect the art of shooting detailed photos.

Pixels

It is a skill that photographers perfect as they accumulate more experience. Just like in any other field of specialization, too many effects will distort a picture. You should try to retain a photo's original appearance as much as possible!

SushiRoll

It is a skill that photographers perfect as they accumulate more experience. Just like in any other field of specialization, too many effects will distort a picture. You should try to retain a photo's original appearance as much as possible!
I'm with you on this! I want my images to have a natural look, and a natural look isn't going to happen if there's lots of tinkering done. I remember when I first saw my high school graduation photos, I thought I didn't look like myself, which I believe was due to lots of editing done on the part of the photographer.

Vivid

An accomplished photographer spends very little time and effort on editing. It is easy to know how much effort a photographer has put into their work just by looking at the final product.

Markshot 12

Depends on the shot and what you intended for it to look like in the context of what you were going to do with it. The more you shoot, the less editing you should have to do.

Plankton

As much as possible, I try to be practical when editing my shots because too much of it removes the original essence of the image. I mostly edit only to improve the images' sharpness to give a more realistic look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan