Nikon Moving To Thailand

Carlhue

After 70 years of making equipment in Japan, Nikon announced that it is moving manufacturing out of Japan and into Thailand to cut costs.

This is going to make me rethink my buying habits. When costs are cut, so is quality. Typically.

What do you guys think?

Silva

I agree with you. When a company decides to cut costs, it affects the product quality. However, when thinking about the cost of living in Thailand compared to Japan, the difference is huge. They may be cutting the costs in terms of employee salaries, rent costs etc, but may not be cutting quality. At least I hope not.

Vivid

After 70 years of making equipment in Japan, Nikon announced that it is moving manufacturing out of Japan and into Thailand to cut costs.

This is going to make me rethink my buying habits. When costs are cut, so is quality. Typically.

What do you guys think?
Not necessarily so. It depends on the nature of the costs in question. For instance, a reduction in operational expenses could signify a higher investment in production. I doubt if we are about to witness a drop in product quality.

Goldflash

Vivid has a point. You can cut the cream off the top if you don't NEED 20 white collar bosses and use that money to stay competitive with the quality.

PictureHub

The Sendai factory has a rich history and has been running near-continuously since the year 1971. It has been providing technical assistance to overseas production. All the same, the factory will still be used as a start-up factory for new business endeavors. It looks to me like a shift of production to Thailand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc