Nikon D780 hybrid

LifeCaptured

For the past couple of weeks I've been playing around with the Nikon D780 DSLR/mirrorless hybrid. It's a great camera and would be nearly perfect if it had a built-in flash and it wasn't so darn heavy and pricey. There are some big features that make this a quality camera such as fast shutter speeds, noise reduction, and a long-lasting battery life. The interface is super easy to use for once. The eye-detection technology makes a huge difference in how portraits turn out, but that doesn't help with live view where it's more difficult to track people. The 4K video quality is excellent too, and the technology is the same as you can find in their mirrorless lineup. There is a learning curve to this camera though, mostly due to the two autofocus systems. You'll need to switch between the live view and view finder systems while shooting if you want to capture the best image. Overall, it's a solid offering from Nikon.

Paul Stevens

That camera sounds pretty decent, but I agree with you on the price. That's a bit much for what it can do. What did you think about camera's image buffer rate?

LifeCaptured

Buffer performance is greatly improved on this model when compared to the D750. I believe the RAW format was 7 or 8 FPS FX. And the JPEG format was over 100 FPS.

Pixels

I would refer to the D780 as a jack of all trades. Smaller cameras have become the norm in this space, but sometimes bigger is better! This camera proves that there is still a place for bigger DSLRs, and is a replacement of the D750. Despite amazing autofocus, improved dynamic range, and dual SD card slots, there is no built-in flash and no in-camera image stabilization.

Beck

If I see a camera without a built in flash, I keep moving. That's a deal breaker for me. That was one of the first improvements way back in the day and it should be standard fare at this point.

Pixels

If I see a camera without a built in flash, I keep moving. That's a deal breaker for me. That was one of the first improvements way back in the day and it should be standard fare at this point.
It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but I would pay more attention to the other specs. The in-built flash in itself isn't sufficient, and most of the time, you have to add an external source of light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan