Netflix or Cinema

Madhatter

It sounds like an endless debate but we must admit there’s a trend of shifting the industry online. Would you rather spend an afternoon on Netflix or in the cinema? (Or course I’m referring to when outside activities cause no problem)

ShutterUp

I am not sure if there is anything that can replicate the cinematic experience, especially when watching movies in 3D. Since I can't go to the cinema all the time, I have to make do with watching while indoors.

CreativeSet

I spend my afternoons at the cinema when I can spare a few hours. There usually a certain feel to it. It is hard to say which one of these two I prefer because I like to say I watch movies on Netflix when I can't access the cinema.

Holly23

I prefer...both. There are series you can only watch on Netflix and there are movies you can only watch in the cinema. You can watch Netflix and go to the cinema whenever you want.

Reel Media

Before the pandemic hit I was all about catching big shows in the movie theater. There's nothing like watching a great film on the big screen. I can lose myself in the story and the action. It almost feels like I'm there with the characters.

CreativeSet

I prefer...both. There are series you can only watch on Netflix and there are movies you can only watch in the cinema. You can watch Netflix and go to the cinema whenever you want.
Very true. It mostly depends on what you want to watch, where you want to go, and the number of people in question. At times my friends call me to join them at the cinema, and sometimes, all I want is some solitude as I catch up with the latest movies on Netflix.

Carrie

To be honest, I have never been a fan of going to the movies. I just can't stand people making noise, using their phones or opening their snacks etc. As far as I'm concerned, services like Netlix are a blessing for movie fans like me.

Silva

There could be a million services like Netflix, but while I appreciate the ability to watch what I want when I want from the comfort of my sofa, I still think a movie theater has its charm and is irreplaceable.

WidestScreen

I love going to the theater! There's something special about the dimming of the lights and the opening credits that get me excited for whatever I'm about to see. For a while, (before the pandemic!) I would go to the theater and buy a ticket for a movie I hadn't seen yet. I would be sure to pick a film that I knew nothing about. I love going into a film completely unbiased and only knowing the title. That's something that's hard to replicate with Netflix and other streaming services.

SushiRoll

While the theater is a delightful experience, there's something so comfortable about watching Netflix in your own home, in complete relaxation. I love the theater, but I also love binge-watching Netflix! :)

TheBlueElephant

With my two kids in mind, my vote goes to Netflix. The theater is a great experience for a kid, don't get me wrong, but Netflix is just easier. If someone has to go to the bathroom, it isn't a huge deal. We have appropriate snacks in the kitchen. Watching movies on Netflix is just less stress for me as a parent!

Amanda Louise

I love going to the cinema. There's something so special about settling into a seat and experiencing a new film with a whole group of strangers. I love when the audience all laugh at the same moments. It's such a community building experience.

CreativeSet

I love going to the cinema. There's something so special about settling into a seat and experiencing a new film with a whole group of strangers. I love when the audience all laugh at the same moments. It's such a community building experience.

The cinema experience is out of this world. However, I find it strange when I cannot find a companion. It can be lonely (at times) to sit amid strangers before the movie starts.

WidestScreen

The cinema experience is out of this world. However, I find it strange when I cannot find a companion. It can be lonely (at times) to sit amid strangers before the movie starts.
Before the pandemic started, I'd go to the theater and randomly pick a movie to go see. I didn't have anyone who would go with me. I found that by going alone, I could genuinely react to the movie I was seeing without being influenced by the person I was with.

CreativeSet

Before the pandemic started, I'd go to the theater and randomly pick a movie to go see. I didn't have anyone who would go with me. I found that by going alone, I could genuinely react to the movie I was seeing without being influenced by the person I was with.
I think it works differently for all of us. Every time I go to the movies, there will be one or two people on their own. I guess they find it distractive when the rest of the people can't maintain total silence!

TheBlueElephant

While my vote is still on Netflix, I agree that there's something special about the community aspect of cinema. I love going to movie with my kids and hearing all the kids in the theater laughing at a joke. It's a beautiful moment.

SushiRoll

I agree, it can be a bit awkward to be by yourself! When I go with friends, we discuss which previews were the most intriguing and which films we want to see next. But there is also something interesting about experiencing a movie on your own. So, going to the cinema is rewarding no matter if you're by yourself or with a friend.

Amanda Louise

While my vote is still on Netflix, I agree that there's something special about the community aspect of cinema. I love going to movie with my kids and hearing all the kids in the theater laughing at a joke. It's a beautiful moment.
When I saw Black Panther in the cinema, the energy was palpable. Everyone was so excited for the movie and were completely engaged with what was happening on screen. I love when those community moments, including laughter as you mentioned, happen.

Plankton

I would usually choose to spend time watching Netflix because I'm more of a homebody so I feel more comfortable doing that. The times when I've gone to the cinema were mainly for the sake of family bonding, but I guess it can depend on the movie too.

Markshot 12

What I like to watch is more suited to home viewing. When was the last time you went to the theater and watched a documentary on the history of the Arctic? :)

Vote Netflix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc