Music sources

SamanthaL.

What's your go-to place for finding cool beats and background music for videos and slideshows? I love making special videos for people as gifts, but I'm always afraid of running afoul of the copyright.

Fairytale Studios

I've sourced music from Epidemic Sound a few times. They have a lot to choose from and several tracks are less than a buck. Plus, they keep it simple by bundling all the legal rights. I source Disney's music through their licensing company. It's pretty pricey, unfortunately.

Rachel

Free Music Archive means just what it says. Some of the music is hit or miss, but if you're willing to search, you'll find something that fits your needs.

@Fairytale Studios, I've heard that Disney is pretty ruthless when it comes to enforcing their copyright, so it's smart of you to pony up the money. When I was younger, I used copyrighted music in a video that I uploaded to YouTube. I got a rather threatening letter and the copyright holder had the video taken down, but that's as far as it went. I was about 16 or 17 at the time and was just starting to get into videography. I was so embarrassed. I should've known better too because that's when the music industry was suing people for torrenting music. However, I thought that since I bought the song, that it was okay to use. Boy was I wrong.

SamanthaL.

Wow, you guys have so much great info. Thanks for sharing! I'm going through and bookmarking the sites you both listed.

@Rachel, I'm sorry that happened to you, especially at such a young age. That would've freaked me out. I'm glad they didn't continue to pursue you.

Markshot 12

i have a personal blog that isn't monetized (Or even live yet) That has a few music videos on it. I haven't heard anything form anybody about it yet. Of course there are only 2 other people who know about it, but I have thought about this. I might have to take them down in due time.

vlog2020

YouTube can be confusing when it comes to copyright, as a top vlogger, Simon Whistler, found. He is the guy behind Biographics, which by the way is very good. He used a 10 second clip of Winston Churchill, but was ordered to take it down by Sony, who apparently own all the rights to Churchill material. I am just going to stick with the free music that YouTube supplies for my vlogs.

Chappel

Hi there, Mixkit looks good as it offers a large library of free music downloads for pretty much any use. It also seems to specialize in techno, drum n bass and ambient, if you are looking for some "cool beats."

Mushroom

Copyright is definitely sometimes a headache. I still don’t fully understand how it works and even more than that, there are different copyright laws in different areas. Usually I tend to go for copyright-free music resources because it seems to be the safest.

Mushroom

Now I realise there is a problem with the music in the YouTube audio library. There is no guarantee that your video won’t be taken down if you use those resources outside YouTube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan