Most versatile in lineup

Fairytale Studios

Which Sony XDCAM is the most versatile in the lineup? I'm just wondering if anything has surpassed the EX-1 and EX-3. What are some of the advantages of filming with a solid state camcorder?

SamanthaL.

One of the advantages to using a solid state device is that it's less likely to be corrupted since it has less working parts. Unfortunately, I'm not a technically brilliant, so my answer about that is basically a parroting of what I've read over the years.

Both the Sony PXW-FS7 and the PXW-X180 camcorders come to mind as the most versatile. They can handle everything from a documentary to a sports game, to a reality show, and they're competitively priced to boot.

Editor

One of the advantages to using a solid state device is that it's less likely to be corrupted since it has less working parts. Unfortunately, I'm not a technically brilliant, so my answer about that is basically a parroting of what I've read over the years.
Both the Sony PXW-FS7 and the PXW-X180 camcorders come to mind as the most versatile. They can handle everything from a documentary to a sports game, to a reality show, and they're competitively priced to boot.
That's a great tip about solid state devices not easily getting corrupted. I am not so fond of Sony cameras though both look great, in my opinion. It would be a tough decision to choose between the two.

Beck

Sounds like the perfect time to flip a coin. Being comparative in function and cost while being the same brand, it boils down to which looks better. I guess.

Editor

Sounds like the perfect time to flip a coin. Being comparative in function and cost while being the same brand, it boils down to which looks better. I guess.
It is usually hard to reach a consensus in such matters because different photographers have varied preferences. Ultimately, cost and functionality matter most, in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc