Most expensive photographs

Vivid

Most of these photos got sold through auction. Peter Lik reportedly sold a photograph titled Phantom to an anonymous bidder. At $6.5 million, it is potentially the highest price paid.

vlog2020

My first impression, @Vivid, was wow! I had to look into this, and it seems that the New York Times and other sources, such as the Artnet website, call the $6.5 million price tag into question. As it was reported to be a private, anonymous sale, it is hard to prove. Lik also owns a string of galleries, so maybe he is trying to inflate the price of the pictures?

Pixels

I also wondered why the buyer would choose to be anonymous? Either way, this shouldn't take away the fact that Peter Lik is an established photographer who's sold $440 million worth of prints in 15 of his galleries that also sell his work.

Editor

That is quite a sum for one photo, and probably the highest bidder chose to remain anonymous for a good reason. It seems most of the most expensive photographs all got sold through auction.

Beck

I also wondered why the buyer would choose to be anonymous?

Reduces the chance of theft I would imagine. Art theft is a thing and the thieves are very high tech about it. Strangers don't need to know who it was.

Markshot 12

Must be one heck of a photograph. I would be asking "What was his equipment?" and not "Who was the buyer?"

No one is going to shell out that kind of money for shoddy workmanship.

Pixels

Reduces the chance of theft I would imagine. Art theft is a thing and the thieves are very high tech about it. Strangers don't need to know who it was.
I remember watching a TV series where a famous painting got stolen from a museum (I can't quite remember the name). There is a sentimental touch around art, and now that you've mentioned it, I see why someone would choose to remain anonymous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc