Marketing through free stock platforms

LifeCaptured

What do you guys think about the free stock photo and video platforms like Pexel, Pixabay, Unsplash, and similar sites? Have you uploaded any of your images to one of those platforms? Do you think it's a good way to market your work? I'm new to this so I'm trying to suss out the pros and cons.

SamanthaL.

It probably depends on what you shoot and what type of clients you hope to attract down the road. I know they have a way to receive tips/donations on those sites, but I doubt very many people contribute.

Rachel

I haven't marketed through those avenues, but it could work for some people. I used to sell stock photos Shutterfly and such before I started getting regular business. Smartphones have changed the landscape dramatically since then though.

Paul Stevens

I'd say it could help get your name out there, but I'd be careful about giving away too much. Photography and videography can be expensive hobbies. It's not easy to make a living in this field, but if you're a hobbyist it should still become as self-sustaining as possible.

Last edited:

Fairytale Studios

It disheartens me when popular websites like BuzzFeed use free stock photos without crediting the photographer. BuzzFeed can afford to pay for photos and it's a shame they don't. Plus, even if crediting the photographer isn't required, it would be a nice thing to do since BuzzFeed has a lot of reach. So if you take this route, @LifeCaptured, I'd make image attribution a requirement.

Len S

It's tough to make money out here, that's for sure. The competition is stiff and people will take before they pay. I don't think it would hurt to try the Pixabay etc.... route. Try it and see if it works for you.

The Aire

You might want to upload a few hundred of different types of shots. There are so many out there right now you would get lost in the shuffle if you only do a few dozen.

Vid Syd

I'm not one to be critical, but free stock photo sites should be seen as just an extra effort. Don't count on that to get you clients. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the odds are high against that.

Mobile 5

I have dug into photos there before, and some of those people have literally thousands of them. Very prolific. That might be the key: Volume.

Flair

It's a good question, @LifeCaptured. I search for free stock photos quite often. I find the quality good, but the creativity and breadth of subject matter is a bit lacking. If you have an unusual niche that you photograph, it could be worth looking into.

Beck

I have dug into photos there before, and some of those people have literally thousands of them. Very prolific. That might be the key: Volume.

Yeah, there are some people on there with so many uploads, I can't help but think they do it to pad their portfolio. It's a good idea in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc