Makeup

Marc

I know next to nothing about makeup. Which colors tend to look good on film? I'm a low budget filmmaker for now, so no way could I afford to hire a makeup artist.

Fairytale Studios

Generally, they'll just need to apply heavier makeup than usual. When you go to recruit your actors and actresses, just make sure to let them know they're responsible for their own makeup. They should know what to do or at least have an idea about what works and what doesn't.

Carlhue

Can you take shorts of people in various stages of makeup? This will help you get a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Derek

Generally, they'll just need to apply heavier makeup than usual. When you go to recruit your actors and actresses, just make sure to let them know they're responsible for their own makeup. They should know what to do or at least have an idea about what works and what doesn't.
That's a good idea. Alternatively, if you want, you could also check out some video tutorials on YouTube. There are makeup tutorials on almost any look imaginable. Good luck :)

Anastasia

I absolutely love all things makeup. I guess I am lucky because, since I was a little girl, I used to always watch my older sisters and mom put on make up. I have learned a lot about it!

Holly23

You know you can always see if there are college students who are studying art, or similar thing, and ask them if they want to join a film project. Sometimes they wish to build their portfolio and want more practice.

Madhatter

I suggest you can ask the actors or actresses to do their makeup for your film. They might know better if they have the experience. You don’t have to take up all the tasks. Sometimes actors and actresses know better.

PictureHub

You know you can always see if there are college students who are studying art, or similar thing, and ask them if they want to join a film project. Sometimes they wish to build their portfolio and want more practice.
Very true. Such students usually have great ideas and the drive since they are eager to build a portfolio. If you let the actors and actresses handle their makeup, it should meet the required standards.

Portrait

It is best to seek professional input on this issue. Letting the cast members decide for themselves can be disastrous. If you cannot hire a makeup artist, look for ideas online, or consult a few friends.

CreativeSet

You may not have the ability to hire a makeup artist, but you can also get free advice from those in the industry. I think that proper lighting influences how cast members appear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc