Is 4K overrated?

LifeCaptured

I've noticed that when I upload videos to YouTube that most people watch them in HD, not 4K. Do you think shooting in 4K, 8K, and more is overrated, or is there a viable market for that type of resolution?

Beck

Shooting in 4k gives the viewer a sharper (resolution wise) image regardless of the format they view it in. If this is your thing, shoot in 4k.

ePIC

The thing about it is that technology is always changing and improving, so upgrading to 4K will help future proof your content for a while.

CreativeSet

I think that the hype, rather than the technology, is what's overrated. With current technology, resolution standards matter, and 4K provides sharper and more detailed visuals. Whereas it has gained popularity over the years, some people haven't yet bought into the idea.

Goldflash

I have always wondered something about this. If you advertise, say, a short film you did as being shot in 4k, would the average viewer even know the difference?

Portrait

The hype aside, we are soon leaping to 8K, so people should stop resisting to shoot in 4K. Anyone can still work with 1080p, but utilizing 4K gives higher quality images and reduces the chances of color banding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc