Importance of Captioning

EyeView

Documentaries are leaned toward the educational side more than it does on entertainment purposes. Watching a 30 minute to a 1-hour long documentary without subtitles will most probably bore the viewer. Although native English speakers may still enjoy it, I think a documentary may not impact an international audience without captions.

Vivid

I don't enjoy subtitles unless a documentary is available in a language I cannot understand. In most cases, the viewer has the option to choose whether or not to have the captions.

Mentee

Watching a 30 minute to a 1-hour long documentary without subtitles will most probably bore the viewer.
Most platforms offer subtitles, and, fortunately, a person can also choose which language to display. It's a good setting, but the number of languages available is still limited. Captions help me focus on what I'm watching, so it's helpful when viewing documentaries.

ePIC

Is AI good enough at this skill yet, or is it still necessary to hire a professional? Sometimes captioning is out of my price range, especially if it requires knowledge of a foreign language.

Lily Stew

Is AI good enough at this skill yet, or is it still necessary to hire a professional?
I don't think AIs have this ability yet. There are a lot of freelance captioning jobs in the market that companies offer. If that's the case, they still need people to do the job.

Beck

And what a skilled job it would be. I imagine court stenographers being the people most qualified for that work. People can learn of course, but that would be a hard skill for me to pick up on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc