How To Do It Differently

Mobile 5

Production designers, being responsible for the entire look of a film from props to shoot locations, are having to think outside the box these days. If you could offer advice to one to help them acclimate to the changing times, what would it be?

Vivid

In response to the changing times, production designers need to be creative and not stick with the cliche. For a long time, we got used to predictable shoot locations, but trying out new and bold ideas is the new norm.

Mobile 5

trying out new and bold ideas is the new norm.

I think this pandemic might be forcing it to become the new norm. Change out of necessity. They would probably being relying on studio tech. more in order to "make" outside shots where it wouldn't be practical from a social distancing standpoint.

Portrait

I think this pandemic might be forcing it to become the new norm. Change out of necessity. They would probably being relying on studio tech. more in order to "make" outside shots where it wouldn't be practical from a social distancing standpoint.
Absolutely! Necessity is the mother of invention, and so when people find themselves in unchartered waters, then it becomes necessary to think outside the box. All the same, creativity will be what distinguishes good videographers and photographers!

The Aire

I think if the studios want to start making money again, they'll start listening to unorthodox ideas where they never used to. The standards that were adhered to because they worked are no longer practical in the Covid world.

Mobile 5

Absolutely! Necessity is the mother of invention, and so when people find themselves in unchartered waters, then it becomes necessary to think outside the box. All the same, creativity will be what distinguishes good videographers and photographers!

It's always been that way to a point, but Covid is making people push the boundaries even more.

In this way, this pandemic can be seen as a good thing.

Beck

Can you edit out the mask that an actor/actress is wearing? That's what I would suggest. I would remind them of the high level of technology involved here and find a way to erase the masks.

Portrait

It's always been that way to a point, but Covid is making people push the boundaries even more. In this way, this pandemic can be seen as a good thing.
Photographs and videos are documenting how communities are changing as a result of this pandemic. There is no better way to tell a story than to capture a particular moment. The economy could be taking a hit, but all the same, we all have to push the boundaries more.

PerfectClick

I've noticed many are foregoing travel and are shooting closer to home instead. I wonder how long that will last? If you live in a gorgeous area I'd say you have a leg up.
It's been tough for everyone out there, but I believe that things will get better soon. Some of my friends haven't ventured out of the city for a while. Instead, they are concentrating on local partnerships and relying on referrals.

Holly23

It‘s definitely interesting to see how much the industry is changing with the pandemic going on. Somehow it also seems like a new challenge to creativity. As always, the more creative ones win.

Magz

In response to the changing times, production designers need to be creative and not stick with the cliche. For a long time, we got used to predictable shoot locations, but trying out new and bold ideas is the new norm.
While I agree with you about not sticking to cliché methods, I think that keeping your original (and sometimes old) touch is important. Especially if you are trying to build a brand.

Vivid

While I agree with you about not sticking to cliché methods, I think that keeping your original (and sometimes old) touch is important. Especially if you are trying to build a brand.
Yes, you cannot completely do away with the old stuff. Again, with experience, a photographer learns to blend and adapt to different scenarios. You have to be versatile and be willing to adjust to a situation, even in the eleventh hour.

Portrait

Yes, you cannot completely do away with the old stuff. Again, with experience, a photographer learns to blend and adapt to different scenarios. You have to be versatile and be willing to adjust to a situation, even in the eleventh hour.
I believe that no two photographs can ever be the same, but being versatile and adapting to prevailing conditions are necessary skills. Building a brand isn't an overnight exercise, plus some of the old stuff still applies today.

Vivid

I believe that no two photographs can ever be the same, but being versatile and adapting to prevailing conditions are necessary skills. Building a brand isn't an overnight exercise, plus some of the old stuff still applies today.
Whereas no two or more photographers are the same, but creativity should be a part of each one of us. I think that a photographer's journey of experience involves looking at the bigger picture and thinking outside the box.

Starry

Regarding the production design, they'll have to become more resourceful and see things differently because otherwise, only certain movie genres will work out during this pandemic. While they'll also have to avoid forcing ideas that won't really fit the scene since it may end up being awkward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc