How many cameras should a photographer have?

CreativeSet

For event photography, having at least two cameras helps avoid constant lens changes. In case you work in a studio, an extra camera provides security in case something goes wrong. Are there photographers who collect cameras as a hobby?

Mandy

That's not an impossible thing but it would be an expensive hobby though. Although yeah I agree that it's important that photographers should have a spare camera. Especially during events, you never know when something might go wrong with the one you're using. It'll be a disaster without an extra and it could even ruin one's reputation.

Rachel

You probably need a backup shooter for a large event. You could outsource that though, and tell the second photographer to bring a camera. I think starting out with one camera is just fine though. At the end of the day, it's about your talent, rather than the camera, that will make a difference.

Portrait

You probably need a backup shooter for a large event. You could outsource that though, and tell the second photographer to bring a camera. I think starting out with one camera is just fine though. At the end of the day, it's about your talent, rather than the camera, that will make a difference.
In the future, I will consider having a backup photographer because things can go wrong at times. Having an extra camera is beneficial, just in case, something happens in the course of doing your work.

ClickExpert

It is necessary to have an extra camera or someone on standby, to mitigate risk. The same should apply to all the other equipment that we use. Collecting cameras can be expensive, though anyone can gradually do this.

ShutterUp

Collecting cameras would be an expensive hobby. However, I see nothing wrong with a photographer planning and buying cameras from time-to-time. It is advisable to have a backup camera, and it also applies to the accessories we use almost daily.

Plankton

For practicality's sake, I think photographers should consider an extra camera with respect to their niche. If your niche concerns nature, storm, and wildlife, it's almost inevitable to lose one of your cameras unexpectedly.

Pixels

For practicality's sake, I think photographers should consider an extra camera with respect to their niche. If your niche concerns nature, storm, and wildlife, it's almost inevitable to lose one of your cameras unexpectedly.
I agree with you to some extent. However, the niche alone should not be the only determining factor. If you have been contracted for an event, having an extra camera and accessories will be necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan