How can I start acting?

TheBlueElephant

I've been interested in acting for a while. I like the idea of becoming a character physically, emotionally and psychologically in order to deliver a moving performance. Once COVID is no longer a concern, I want to start acting and explore this interest. Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get into acting?

Carrie

I think it's a great idea that you want to get started with acting :) Maybe you should look for some online courses (since Covid is making almost everything impossible)? I wish you the best of luck!

Reel Media

I tend to think acting is a talent you hone, rather than something you learn. Set your camera up and perform a monologue or one-person play. Upload it and ask for critiques. Practice makes perfect after all.

WidestScreen

Maybe there's an community theatre in your area? Growing up, there was a group that would put on musicals and plays every year. It was always lots of fun to watch their performances. I don't know how active community theatres are right now, due to COVID, but hopefully there'll be something soon!

TheBlueElephant

@WidestScreen @Reel Media
Thank you so much for the excellent suggestions! I'll start looking for a theatre group in my area as well as practicing my monologue! ;) I'm really excited by the idea of a one-person play. I had no idea that existed. I bet my kids would love watching my performance in our living room! :)

ePIC

This pandemic seems to be dragging on and on, so if you want to start now, you could always do some live-streaming. Just take on another persona while you're being filmed. Some gamers have found success with that strategy. Dr. Disrespect is a good example of that (his character is offensive at times so be forewarned before you search him out).

Derek

I tend to think acting is a talent you hone, rather than something you learn. Set your camera up and perform a monologue or one-person play. Upload it and ask for critiques. Practice makes perfect after all.
I agree with you on that. Practice makes perfect as they say, right? However, with that said, I still think it can be learned even though you have no skill to begin with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan