Have you ever written a screenplay?

WidestScreen

I'm taking a screenplay writing class this upcoming semester and I'm really excited. Part of the class is producing a short film with students from one of the acting classes on campus. Has anyone written a screenplay before? Got any tips for me? :)

Mentee

I've tried writing a screenplay and well I've found it hard to connect the scenes at first. Maybe try writing down the general thing that will happen in all of the scenes before going into the specifics of the script. That way you'll have more direction writing about what the characters should say.

TheBlueElephant

I've found an outline helpful when writing. My outlines tend to be roughly a page of notes about the scenes. It's also a good idea to carry a notebook around at all times, so you can write down an idea right away.

SushiRoll

I haven't written a screenplay before, but it's something I'm interested in trying. From what I understand, there's a lot of technical lingo that goes into a screenplay, including camera directions. That would be a learning curve for me.

Willa

I haven't written a screenplay before, but it's something I'm interested in trying. From what I understand, there's a lot of technical lingo that goes into a screenplay, including camera directions. That would be a learning curve for me.
I had no idea that there would be technical lingo! That's a definitely a barrier for me to overcome before I get started writing screenplays. I've written a few short stories before. Do those skills transfer well, or is it a whole new way of writing?

Rachel

You should go for it @SushiRoll! It could turn out amazing!

@WidestScreen, how do you like your class so far? I'm not a writer, so I don't have any tips to share, but I hope you have a great semester.

JamesinJ

@Willa
Writing is a transferable skill, no matter where you start out. I have a friend who was a technical writer for many years, and is now writing picture books. There'll be a learning curve, but nothing that is insurmountable.

Last edited:

Len S

This is so true. As long as the writer is willing to try anything new, he or she can transfer one skill set into another. It may not be easy, but it's more than possible.

Willa

@JamesinJ
You've encouraged me to get writing! I'm going to look up a bit of information about screenplay writing, but then I'm going to get started. I have so many ideas, and I can't wait to get going on them!

SushiRoll

@Rachel
Thanks for the encouragement! I've started writing a few scenes. So far, it's been pretty fun. I'm leaving out a lot of the technical directions. I'm going to leave that up to the people who know more about that than I do!

WidestScreen

You should go for it @SushiRoll! It could turn out amazing!

@WidestScreen, how do you like your class so far? I'm not a writer, so I don't have any tips to share, but I hope you have a great semester.
My class is going really well so far! Our professor is really cool and is letting us explore our creativity. We are eventually going to team up with other students to produce our screenplay, so it's been really interesting trying to write a screenplay with that in mind. Unfortunately, we don't have a Hollywood budget!

Willa

My class is going really well so far! Our professor is really cool and is letting us explore our creativity. We are eventually going to team up with other students to produce our screenplay, so it's been really interesting trying to write a screenplay with that in mind. Unfortunately, we don't have a Hollywood budget!
I really like the idea of putting students together into teams like this to produce a film. It seems like such an organic way to build skills, relationships, and expand the amount of content a student has worked on. I hope it goes well for you!

Paul Stevens

I'm not a talented writer and I seriously lack the imagination to pull something like that off. I think it's awesome that some of you guys are that skilled. I'm cheering you on.

ClickExpert

We once wrote a screenplay together with a friend of mine. It was a great learning experience because ideas kept coming up as the plot progressed. You must be in a very interactive class. Start with a draft and be ready to gather other people's input along the way!

PictureHub

I have been involved in a screenplay but not as a writer. When writing, do you consult the producer and director as well? Being in a class allows you to learn and apply the techniques learnt.

Markshot 12

The only tip I can share is to learn as much about it as you can before you dive into it. Whatever format of writing you're used to, screenplay writing is going to have a lot of differences you would have to familiarize yourself with.

Darlene

I have never written screenplays before, and I think that it's really exciting that you are taking a course this semester :) I did write video scripts however, and although it's not the same thing, I do agree that outlining your content is key.

Lily Stew

I haven't tried this, and I greatly admire those who can do it. It's not easy to think of scenes that will fit together. Maybe writing monologues can help if you're having a hard time coming up with conversations.

Beck

Screenplay writing uses a specific format, so stick with that for now. I think it would help a great deal if you had the entire story finished in your head first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc