Have photojournalism employees been replaced?

Davey

It seems to me that print media has replaced their usual photojournalism staff with freelance photographers and videographers. Is anyone still hiring in-house professionals?

Paul Stevens

I think most of the photographers that work for the paper also earn income through other avenues. Unless a photojournalist is placed with a military unit overseas, I can't see them earning a steady salary and benefits.

PictureHub

Would we say that it is more convenient and cost-effective than hiring in-house professionals? As Paul Stevens says, freelancing allows a photojournalist to handle several jobs simultaneously, hence the possibility to earn more.

Vivid

Does it apply to all print media companies or those with the financial muscle? Hiring freelancers may not be cheaper than having in-house staff. There are instances when both categories of professionals exist in an organization.

Mentee

Larger news agencies would probably not rely too much on freelancers to maintain a certain standard. Photojournalism aims to deliver a message, and some organizations like their employees to have the same values.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc