Good starter camera?

SamanthaL.

I'm looking for a starter camera for my niece's graduation present. Right now she's interested in shooting stills and video, but she's so young that something complicated will probably dissuade her enthusiasm. I want to get her a Canon because I know they're durable and she's a bit of a klutz (as many of us were at that age). So, which Canon APS-C camera would you recommend for her?

Fairytale Studios

The Canon EOS Rebel T7i is very intuitive and easy to use, so it fits the bill. It can shoot in RAW, so she'll have a chance to play around with that if she's interested, or she can shoot in JPEG and keep it simple.

Paul Stevens

I agree that the Rebel line is great for beginners, but it sounds like your niece is graduating from high school, not college, and I can't imagine spending more than a few hundred for someone that age unless they were working towards a certification of some sort in our field. The Canon EOS Rebel T6 isn't the latest and the greatest, but it will allow her to record videos and take gorgeous pictures for under $400. If you go for a refurb, and I would in this case, you'll save even more. I think it's awesome that you're buying her a nice present, but I know when I was that age, I wouldn't use my nice equipment because I was afraid I'd break it. It mostly sat in my room unused. You know your niece better than I do of course. Just offering an alternative viewpoint.

SamanthaL.

I think it's awesome that you're buying her a nice present, but I know when I was that age, I wouldn't use my nice equipment because I was afraid I'd break it. It mostly sat in my room unused. You know your niece better than I do of course. Just offering an alternative viewpoint.
That's a good point, but I doubt she'd know the camera's value unless someone told her. I guess I could get it insured, but since those aren't thousand dollar cameras, I don't think it would be worth it.

Rachel

Since mirrorless cameras are popular right now, what about getting her a Canon EOS M100. I used to have one and it's super simple to use. The touchscreen is large and the camera is lightweight. She can link it to her phone or tablet too. Plus, it works with Wi-Fi, which makes easy for her to upload her videos and photos to Instagram - which is what she's probably going to do.

ePIC

Mirrorless cameras can be a little tough for a newbie to get used to, so I'm voting for a Rebel camera too. I don't think there's much of a difference between the T6 and T7. Either camera would be good for a beginner.

LifeCaptured

I'm with @Rachel, I'd go for one of the mirrorless cameras that are so popular right now. The teen has all summer to learn how to use it and the camera will challenge her in a good way.

SamanthaL.

I took my niece out to eat today and she mentioned wanting to try a mirrorless camera, so that's the one I'm going with. I'll help her get acclimated to it and that will give us some quality time to bond before she heads off to college. Thanks for helping me narrow it down!

Editor

I took my niece out to eat today and she mentioned wanting to try a mirrorless camera, so that's the one I'm going with. I'll help her get acclimated to it and that will give us some quality time to bond before she heads off to college. Thanks for helping me narrow it down!
I am interested in knowing which camera you settled on, especially considering that mirrorless cameras aren't that cheap? Hopefully, this stirs up her interest in photography and enhances her skills.

SamanthaL.

I am interested in knowing which camera you settled on, especially considering that mirrorless cameras aren't that cheap? Hopefully, this stirs up her interest in photography and enhances her skills.
She was the valedictorian of her class and is always looking to help others, so I wanted to buy her something special. Unfortunately, I couldn't get her the camera. Her parents nixed the idea because of the expense, and they wanted her to concentrate on school. My niece is an adult (barely), but I didn't want to rock the boat with my sister. Since the coronavirus changed the academic landscape, my niece is attending most of her college classes online, so I bought her a laptop instead. It was actually less expensive than the camera and since it could be used for her coursework, her parents were okay with it. If she's still interested in photography in a year or two I'm springing for the Canon. She never asks for anything and is incredibly appreciative of anything she's given.

Editor

She was the valedictorian of her class and is always looking to help others, so I wanted to buy her something special. Unfortunately, I couldn't get her the camera. Her parents nixed the idea because of the expense, and they wanted her to concentrate on school. My niece is an adult (barely), but I didn't want to rock the boat with my sister. Since the coronavirus changed the academic landscape, my niece is attending most of her college classes online, so I bought her a laptop instead. It was actually less expensive than the camera and since it could be used for her coursework, her parents were okay with it. If she's still interested in photography in a year or two I'm springing for the Canon. She never asks for anything and is incredibly appreciative of anything she's given.
A laptop is a good option since it can still be of use if your niece decides to pursue photography. I believe that if she has the passion and interest coupled with dedication, she'll end up being successful not only as a photographer but in anything else she sets pursues!

Magz

The Canon EOS Rebel T7i is very intuitive and easy to use, so it fits the bill. It can shoot in RAW, so she'll have a chance to play around with that if she's interested, or she can shoot in JPEG and keep it simple.
I have heard a lot about that camera and I have been seriously thinking about buying it. So far, most of my photos are not professional since I only take them with my phone. My smart phone has a pretty decent camera though.

Goldflash

If it helps, I've noticed that the major brands have complete lines. Meaning the highest end type of camera down to the starters. Personally, I go by the reviews to keep up with who keeps putting out models that most people like.

Editor

If it helps, I've noticed that the major brands have complete lines. Meaning the highest end type of camera down to the starters. Personally, I go by the reviews to keep up with who keeps putting out models that most people like.
Excellent point! I think that these major brands recognize the need to encourage would-be photographers to advance gradually. It is no surprise that some people worry about buying an expensive camera and losing interest afterward!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc