Forensic Photographer

Mobile 5

Would any of you have the stomach to be a forensic photographer? Better known as a crime scene photographer? it sounds like easy work, and steady if you live in a large city, but I don't know. Some of the stuff they must see.

ShutterUp

I have never imagined being one, but I guess that people get used to it over time. I have always wondered if police photography and forensic photography mean the same thing?

Raylen

@Mobile 5, I wouldn't have the stomach for it.

@ShutterUp, I'm into true crime stories or I wouldn't know this, but photography is considered forensic photography when it's sworn in as evidence. It doesn't just have to be photos that were taken by a crime scene photographer. Images that show a crime that are pulled from a store's surveillance camera can be submitted as forensic when sworn by the store owner and submitted as evidence.

cassie

If you want a rewarding, interesting career, being a Crime Scene Photographer could be for you.
But there are a lot of downsides. For one, the salary is surprisingly low, around $14-15 per hour. Also, a Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice is usually required, and remember, the work can be emotionally distressing. It can involve photographing victims of violence, for example.

PictureHub

@Mobile 5, I wouldn't have the stomach for it.

@ShutterUp, I'm into true crime stories or I wouldn't know this, but photography is considered forensic photography when it's sworn in as evidence. It doesn't just have to be photos that were taken by a crime scene photographer. Images that show a crime that are pulled from a store's surveillance camera can be submitted as forensic when sworn by the store owner and submitted as evidence.
I didn't know much about forensic photography, so thank you for clarifying this. It looks like a very involving career that has someone on call all the time. What would you say are the necessary skills here?

Vid Syd

I would think the main skill here would be making sure the lighting is just right. You want to make sure that what needs to be seen in a court of law is seen clearly.

Mobile 5

I suppose if you approached this kind of job in that kind of way, it wouldn't be so bad. I heard of a head-on crash where a van hit a motorcycle head on, killing the cycle rider instantly. Since the van driver was drunk, it became a crime scene so some poor photographer had to go out there at 3 in the morning and visually document it. In the dark.

WidestScreen

I'm really torn on this. I think that it could be a really interesting career. I've been interested in criminal justice since I was little, since my dad is a police officer. But I also don't think I could handle the emotional aspect of the job. I think that it could be a good starting job, but not something I could stay at for too long.

SushiRoll

I'm really torn on this. I think that it could be a really interesting career. I've been interested in criminal justice since I was little, since my dad is a police officer. But I also don't think I could handle the emotional aspect of the job. I think that it could be a good starting job, but not something I could stay at for too long.
I don't think I could handle the job at all! I'm really sensitive and empathic. I think the job would take a huge emotional toll on me and negatively impact my mental health and my relationships. We need all types in this world, so I'm happy that someone is interested in forensic photography!

WidestScreen

I don't think I could handle the job at all! I'm really sensitive and empathic. I think the job would take a huge emotional toll on me and negatively impact my mental health and my relationships. We need all types in this world, so I'm happy that someone is interested in forensic photography!
I agree that over the long run, it would hurt my mental health. But, I would be willing to try it. I wonder if these jobs come with therapy sessions as a health benefit? It would probably help with retention of photographers.

Starry

Forensic photography catches my attention but I'm wondering about how I'll react when it finally comes to the real thing. I'm curious about how much the photographer would be engaged with the crime since the pictures will be included in the evidence. That's what interests me but I'm not even sure about how much I'll be able to handle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc