Fixing bad photos

Portrait

I've heard certain people say that a photographer shouldn't shoot in full manual mode. What are your thoughts on this? If a photo is too light or too dark, is there a way to make it look better, especially when there is no chance of taking another such photo?

Mobile 5

Sometimes photo's taken in natural light are better. More pure, and many people would rather see that than a manipulated photo of.........a sunset, for example.

Madhatter

I prefer natural light. I always think it’s the best but of course sometimes it’s difficult. Photoshop should be done with the purpose of enhancing the overall quality of the photo instead of “faking” something that wasn’t actually there in the photo.

Mobile 5

Photoshop should be done with the purpose of enhancing the overall quality of the photo instead of “faking” something that wasn’t actually there in the photo.
That is a very fine and subjective line. To me, that really soft look that they put on waterfalls is "faking it" because that never happens in real life. Putting shadows in is realistic because it could happen in real life.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc