First Client?

Magz

How did you land your first client? I am not a professional videographer, but rather a blogger. However, I would love to be able to offer my video skills as a service at some point in the future.

Pixels

I got a referral and didn't feel ready to take up my first job ever. However, it ended up ushering me to many more opportunities. Your first client determines the direction your business may take and whether or not you'll get referrals, so it is advisable to go the extra mile and exceed expectations where possible.

Magz

I got a referral and didn't feel ready to take up my first job ever. However, it ended up ushering me to many more opportunities. Your first client determines the direction your business may take and whether or not you'll get referrals, so it is advisable to go the extra mile and exceed expectations where possible.
I think in this industry, just like in many others, word of mouth is very powerful to get your name and brand out there. I will keep that in mind when I am ready to start offering services :)

Madhatter

You might want to build up your portfolio first and work on some social media marketing. I mean, social media is basically everything nowadays and if you are able to make good use of it, then you are already on your way to success.

Marc

I have no shame in admitting that a family member got me my first gig. I was super nervous that I'd disappoint everyone, but it worked out great.

SamanthaL.

I applied to jobs that were looking for a second-shooter and that's how I got my start. My client list grew from that. Don't be afraid to apply for jobs and get your name out there.

Anastasia

I still remember my first client as if it were yesterday! It was through Reddit. I was browsing a freelancer subreddit and someone had posted a job that I was perfect for. After a series of email exchanges, I got the job :)

Pixels

I think in this industry, just like in many others, word of mouth is very powerful to get your name and brand out there. I will keep that in mind when I am ready to start offering services :)
I would say that this applies mostly to the creative industry. As a newbie, you don't need to worry so much about the cost. You are trying to create a brand, so the first impression matters. Most of the time, it is your relatives and friends who will entrust you with your first job, without making a lot of demands. It is usually the best chance to get to work and exceed expectations!

ShutterUp

I came across an ad for a shoot and decided to send my application. Much as I was doing it for fun, I got the shock of my life when I was called and offered the job. It was a huge success, and it ended up opening more doors for me.

PictureHub

My first job was a small one, yet the consideration almost caught me off-guard. I was building my portfolio and came across this job online. The client gave short notice but was very supportive. We ended up working together in the years that followed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc