Filmmaking is a unique art

CreativeSet

The assertion is that much as filmmaking is an art, years of practice are what you need to cultivate a consistent craft. What prevents most moviemakers from being great filmmakers? Has it got to do with the existence of a knowledge gap?

Fairytale Studios

It's such a subjective thing that it's hard to really pin it down. I've seen some amazing cinematography that was lambasted by critics. A lot of it is really just boils down to luck.

Rachel

I agree that it's a highly subjective field, but I also think some moviemakers make obvious mistakes like feeling too wed to their idea to see the big picture. You can't improve if you're unwilling to listen to feedback.

LifeCaptured

Personally, I dislike the films that try to be too artsy just for the sake of it. Some creatives struggle to look at their work with a critical eye. That sort of attitude rarely serves anyone well.

Mushroom

One of the problems is probably the communication and understanding between the cinematographers and the directors, which also comes down to their relationship. Many screenwriters complain about how directors always “ruin” everything, I think this applies to cinematography as well.

The Aire

You have to have an eye for the art in that which moves. In this case, that means seeing in the art in the finished product before it's finished.

In my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan