Filming protests safely

Davey

What are your tips for maintaining situational awareness and staying safe while filming protests? I'll need to get in the thick of things in order to truly capture the event.

Davey

I'm leaning towards interviewing the protesters in the crowd. I figure that's the best way to tell the story. On the one hand, I haven't heard of any major violence breaking out lately during protests, but on the other hand, I want to prepare in advance and be as safe as possible.

Shanna

That is one place I would not want to be. I think protestors that want to be noticed (when they see a camera) will do whatever it takes to get noticed. I would take a camera with a great zoom too.

SamanthaL.

I used to film for my local news station, and it sometimes required me to go on scene during rough events. Things you can do to keep yourself safe:
(1) Make sure you are clearly marked/identified as press (will help with police and protesters/counterprotesters alike
(2) Don't go alone.
(3) Carry your phone and a walkie-talkie in case you get separated.
(4) Don't take more than you absolutely need. It is not the time to carry extra gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc