Exposure

EyeView

For a film to become mainstream, a lot of exposure is necessary. Actors and actresses that were cast partly affect how much or how fast a film, movie, or series would gain popularity because of their influence. Although trailers catch attention, there's always a 50-50 chance if a viewer would watch the whole thing. Do you think a platform like Netflix is necessary when producing Indie work to get noticed?

Anastasia

I think platforms like Netflix and Prime Video (and others) are pretty great to introduce the viewer to new movies and TV series. However, exposure alone won't mean much if the work is mediocre.

Plankton

Platforms can help to increase exposure but as @Anastasia said, the quality of the work is also at play. Although there are also movies and series that get watched because of recommendations, it may take a while for work to get noticed if only from this and the viewer's watch history.

ePIC

Working the right influencer can do wonders for your exposure level. So can being featured in magazines and newspapers. It's tough to standout amongst the crowd.

Len S

Working the right influencer can do wonders for your exposure level. So can being featured in magazines and newspapers. It's tough to standout amongst the crowd.
That typically takes connections, and a lot of new people don't have that yet.

Starting out by making great content will get you exposure through word of mouth. From there, take the traditional paths.

Beck

I wouldn't call Netflix a necessity, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. There are so many media avenues people can take these days, that I think it comes down to personal preference as to where to shop your film.

Mentee

Netflix is becoming too overrated that I think it'll be challenging for indie films to gain popularity and compete with other movies on those platforms. It's more likely that Netflix-made shows will be the first to get noticed.

Lily Stew

Posting movie trailers on social media might work better because it allows people to tag their friends in the comment section. It's also likely that the movie would spread faster when people talk about it either through chatting or sharing the post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc