DX and FX lenses not so interchangeable

Rachel

Nikon claims that the special lenses for their DX line and FX line of HDSLR cameras are interchangeable and yes, they do fit the body of the other camera just fine. I'm sure some lenses still give you the expected effect that you're after too. Just be forewarned that using a wide-angle lens on a DX camera that was designed for the FX will give you a cropped photo that won't resemble a wide-angle photo at all. Maybe that's to be expected? I don't know. I wouldn't say they're all interchangeable though.

Portrait

Yes, you're right about the interchangeable use of DX lenses and FX lenses. For instance, if you went from an FX camera to a DX-format DSLR, the full-frame FX lenses will still work. With a DX lens mounted on a full-frame FX-format DSLR, the camera engages its built-in DX crop mode, thus recording an image only from the center section of the sensor.

SamanthaL.

I've heard that complaint before. I wish Nikon had worded it differently. Some lenses are bound to be more interchangeable with others when you're dealing with two different sized frames. I appreciate what they were trying to do though.

ePIC

I think I would've known that and expected it to work that way. I like what they've done, though. Remember when lenses weren't interchangeable at all and you had to buy a new one for each rig? This is much better!

CreativeSet

I think that these lenses are easily interchangeable, and as a company, Nikon is deliberate about this. These lenses can comfortably accommodate different camera sensor sizes. Even when upgrading from a DX to a full-frame FX-format camera, DX lenses can work, only that the DX crop mode gets selected with the DX lens attached to avoid vignetting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan