Descriptive Stories

Beck

Do you think novels that are more descriptive are more apt to be turned into screenplays for movies? Screenplays have to be more descriptive, so if a novel leans heavily in that direction then other writers wouldn't have as hard a job of turning it into a screenplay. That's my theory at least. What do you think?

Markshot 12

It sounds logical to me. Depends on what's being described though. If an author spends a chapter describing the landscape, he or she might just be wasting word count and doing a production designer a big favor. Describing a battle in minute detail though.......that would help.

Editor

Yes, I think that such novels can effortlessly turn into screenplays. I haven't read any of George R.R Martin's books, but I believe Game of Thrones became a hit series because of these books. Has any of you read Where The Crawdads Sing?

cassie

I have heard that, because of television and now the internet, people in general have a shorter attention span than they did years ago. For this reason, the style of the novel has changed. Also, novelists may write with one eye on the chance of their story being adapted. Think of Dan Brown, his fast-paced books adapt to film easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc