Dental Photography?

WidestScreen

I came across an unusual photography career today...dental photography! Apparently, offices will hire professional photographers. The photographers will use photos to help patients understand why treatment is necessary.
Has anyone ever heard of this career or had experience with it? I'm intrigued! :D

Reel Media

No, I haven't. I've never seen those types of jobs listed on freelance job boards. I wonder how they find professionals to do the job? Maybe they hire their clients. Professional videographers and photographers need their teeth checked too. I could see that coming up in the dental chair.

Paul Stevens

I have. A lot of jobs are found by word of mouth, especially with technical jobs like this one. If you get the opportunity to take a job like this you should go for it. Once a dental group finds someone they like, they'll hire that professional for every project.

PerfectClick

I have not come across anyone specializing in dental photography. In most cases, dental surgeons use x-ray images to explain the need for treatment to patients. It is a potential way to make money, but probably on a part-time basis.

CreativeSet

I wouldn't call it unusual because photography has long been considered a part of dentistry. The advent of digital technology has made imaging more accessible. What needs to change is the reluctance (by practitioners) to implement these techniques in their practice.

Plankton

It's the first time I'm hearing about this and I've never even thought about it even when I've always seen dental pictures in clinics. There would be images comparing the broken and fixed teeth which just gave me the impression that the dentists themselves took a picture of it.

SushiRoll

I haven't heard of this until now! It sounds interesting. I imagine it would be more useful in orthodontics than in a traditional dentist's office. All the same, it seems like a good side gig. If anything, it would motivate me to brush my teeth more often!

TheBlueElephant

I would do this, no questions asked. Sign me up! It sounds like a flexible job that would pay decently. I've always been interested in teeth and dentistry (I considered being a dentist at one point) so this would be a great job for me!

Vid Syd

I only ever thought of dental photography as being done by an x-ray technician. Technically speaking, a picture is being taken. But now that I think about it, yeah, it is a thing.

I'd do it. Why not?

CreativeSet

I spoke to a dentist friend of mine, and he believes that most of his fellow professionals would opt for a device that takes images during any procedure. Is there such a thing?

WidestScreen

I spoke to a dentist friend of mine, and he believes that most of his fellow professionals would opt for a device that takes images during any procedure. Is there such a thing?
I didn't know that that was even an option! That does make sense, though. It would be hard for a dentist to do their job if someone with a camera is trying to get a picture of the patient's mouth. Maybe dental photographers aren't as common as they used to be, since these devices are available.

CreativeSet

I didn't know that that was even an option! That does make sense, though. It would be hard for a dentist to do their job if someone with a camera is trying to get a picture of the patient's mouth. Maybe dental photographers aren't as common as they used to be, since these devices are available.
I believe that such a device exists. It would allow the dentist to take pictures while doing the procedure. Even if it was possible, I don't see dental photography as a rewarding niche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan