Dealing with Disagreements

SushiRoll

How would you handle working with someone who disagrees with your creative vision? I think it would be really difficult to compromise on a project that you're really passionate about. At the same time, some compromises will inevitably have to be made if a project is going to ever be finished.

Carrie

That's a tough one. I guess it would depend on the type of project and how important it it to me. If it is my own project, I don't know if I would be comfortable with too many changes.

Mentee

The best thing would be to find a common ground if the priority is to finish the project with the desired quality. You'll have to be understanding of the other person's vision as well but it becomes a problem if only one person is considerate. In this case, I'll just have to reserve that idea for now and work on what I can with the current project.

Editor

Compromises have to be made at times, but no party should be left aggrieved. If you are passionate about your ideas for a project, then you should stand your ground!

Rachel

If the client is paying me, then I'll usually shoot whatever they want, so long as it doesn't go against my morals. I won't shoot abuse or anything like that.

Culture Shot

If it's very hard to make the person understand my idea, I'll try to see what he or she has to say. Then I'll just add some of my suggestions that can complement the work as a whole.

CreativeSet

In the creative space, you have to stand for something. I wouldn't be comfortable working on something that my conscience doesn't support. Your work can be a marketing platform to those that ascribe to what you stand for!

SushiRoll

If the client is paying me, then I'll usually shoot whatever they want, so long as it doesn't go against my morals. I won't shoot abuse or anything like that.
I think that this is an important point. When you are being paid to do something, your personal creative vision takes a back seat to what the client wants (within reason obviously). When I first posed the question, I was thinking of working on a short film creative project. Thanks for your insight! :D

Editor

I think that this is an important point. When you are being paid to do something, your personal creative vision takes a back seat to what the client wants (within reason obviously). When I first posed the question, I was thinking of working on a short film creative project. Thanks for your insight! :D
The internet never forgets. Creative professionals need to be mindful of their work, so they should not engage in work that defies their principles. It is a matter of conscience and professionalism.

Plankton

In case my creative vision gets overpowered by another person's idea, I'm worried that I might end up doing the work half-heartedly. Although if the person who disagreed with me is someone I respect, I'll probably listen more about what he or she has to say.

ShutterUp

I think that it gets to a point where you have the final word. It is possible to make compromises, but not to the point where a photographer's creative vision loses meaning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan