Children in the industry

Mushroom

Sometimes I‘m pretty worried when I am watching horror movies or such with children being the protagonists. They might be too young for that? I don’t know. Some plots or lines they have to act might not be very appropriate. I just don’t know how to feel about that.

cassie

As you mention this, @Mushroom, I must tell you about a documentary I watched about Natalie Wood. When she was a very young girl, she was in a scene where a bridge over a river was meant to collapse just after she crossed it. But it collapsed too soon, and she nearly drowned in the river, clinging to the bank and struggling to escape. Unbelievably, instead of rescuing her, they let the cameras roll as it made good footage! She had an injured wrist for the rest of her life.

I'm sure film-making ethics have improved today. I think a lot of green-screen technology is used for filming children. You make a good point about their lines, though.

Marc

@cassie, that's the first I've heard of that. She must've been terrified! I'd like to think that we've improved things today and are doing a better job of looking out for kids in the industry, but news stories emerge every few years about coercion, drug use, molestation, and other abuses. I think it's tough when the kid is the family's breadwinner.

Vid Syd

Children in the industry should be a thing of the past because of the amount of the children developing so many problems. CGI should be used instead.

Mobile 5

Sometimes I‘m pretty worried when I am watching horror movies or such with children being the protagonists. They might be too young for that? I don’t know. Some plots or lines they have to act might not be very appropriate. I just don’t know how to feel about that.
I could be wrong, but I think they have children act alone. As in, other horror actions that we see in the finished movie at the theatre, that the child is terrified by, are filmed separately. Then they have the child come in and simply act as if it is going on around them in real time. This is called screen direction.

Magz

To be honest with you, I kind of feel the same. Those poor kids will grow up with such trauma. I am not sure if you have ever heard this, but the first Exorcist movie completely traumatized its cast. Not only the little girl. I do enjoy horror from time to time, but, even being an adult, I definitely wouldn't want to act in a film like that. Let alone children.

Rachel

Most reality TV kids have no safety net at all. They don't usually get to rely on child labor laws or the Coogan Law to ensure that they're treated fairly and protected from harm. It made me look at the Bravo Housewives franchise differently after I learned that.

Madhatter

Another problem I‘m thinking of right now, it’s the message the kids receive. I mean a lot of movies have some sort of political implications. Kids are more prone to whatever messages they receive as they haven’t developed their critical thinking skills. It could be a problem for their personal developmen.

Derek

When I look at former celebrity kids like Macaulay Culkin, how he was so cute in his movies back in the 90's (or was it 80's?) and how he turned out now, I really don't understand how they still hire kids.

Carlhue

For some reason, my mind always went straight to: "How does the kid feel about all this?" Especially The Exorcist. How could that not be at least a little traumatizing for that girl?

EyeView

That's a good point to make because depending on their age, it's likely that their experiences will have a big impact on their development. Although I think that kids that get to act in heavy movies will be oriented firsthand about the scope of what they'll encounter. Still, the mind is vulnerable so I guess the set stands responsible.

TheBlueElephant

I'd be hesitant to allow my children to act professionally. I want my kids to have time to enjoy their childhoods and to be free from the pressure a professional acting career would put on them. Acting as a hobby (like in a community group) wouldn't be as hard of a sell for me.

Plankton

Wow, that really is scary. That part of the industry doesn't seem to be given enough attention and it's also something that I haven't given much thought. Good thing that now technology can help with scenes that may cause too much mental impact on the actors/actresses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan