Capturing Real Life

Markshot 12

Through the years, photography has shown us slices of real life in artistic ways that we would never be exposed to otherwise. It makes the unseen real to us. WW2, Vietnam, The Beatles, etc.... There is much press lately about this aspect of photography. One such piece I ran into centers around Slab City. Somewhere in the southern California desert, there is a settlement that drifters call home. I first learned about it when researching where Robert Plant shot his video for the 29 Palms song. (The internet can be a real rabbit hole)

Photography such as this is what I aspire to do. Capturing life that is rarely seen by others in a way that brings it to life.

Editor

Every time I read such stories, my resolve to become a seasoned photographer that can create vivid moments gets strengthened. Matt Stuart spent five months in Slab City, and this shows how passion and creativity need to go hand-in-hand.

Beck

That's an interesting place. Can you imagine going there at night? No light pollution except for campfires out in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes night shots are the best.

Len S

That would be a very unorthodox vacation if you chose to do that. Of course, with the current Covid 19 issues, that might be the safest place you could go to for a vacation.

Vid Syd

I think I like this. It shows a side of America most people don't even know exist. I think more people may be drawn to this kind of art simply because it isn't mainstream. It doesn't depict perfect people in perfect, staged settings. This guy knows how to take pictures of real people and real life.

Pixels

Would we classify this under photojournalism? Taking such pictures allows a photographer to tell a story that perhaps can be historic. There is no better way of capturing candid and vivid moments than through a camera lens.

vlog2020

This is fantastic, as I now have been inspired to find something out about Slab City. I also now know what "snowbird" and "sunbird" means! Just as Harry Styles' song "Watermelon Sugar" lead me to discover the book "In Watermelon Sugar" which I believe was based on Bolinas. Anyway, this work by Matt Stuart is photojournalism at its best!

ZoomShot

You are correct, @Markshot 12, photography has brought to our eyes wonderful but also dreadful things throughout recent history. Remember Kevin Carter and his images of the Sudan, I think a million words word be insufficient to convey what he did with one image.

Pixels

You are correct, @Markshot 12, photography has brought to our eyes wonderful but also dreadful things throughout recent history. Remember Kevin Carter and his images of the Sudan, I think a million words word be insufficient to convey what he did with one image.
I will look up Kevin Carter, his works, and how much he has impacted the photography landscape. In a way, @vlogg2020 has confirmed that this kind of photography falls under photojournalism; I wasn't sure at first!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan