Camera / Webcam

Len S

Canon is announcing a new software that allows some of their models to double as a webcam on Mac OS. The selling points are more angles and higher definition than your typical fare. I'm not affiliated with Canon and I think this is a good idea. With more and more people staying home and finding online side gigs, this is putting more competition out there.

What do you guys think? (Jumping over to Sony.......)

Rachel

I saw that and I wonder who they're mostly targeting with this. Is it influencers? The average person isn't going to be enticed with more than their standard webcam and the average photographer is more likely to go with something that offers more bang for the buck. It's innovative and interesting, but I don't think it will appeal to many people. I guess we'll see.

Len S

That's a good point Rachel. Influencers can better afford it as can webcam models. Professional applications mainly. It would also be good for field work if you're commissioned by companies like National Geographic.

Markshot 12

Companies that teleconference are being marketed to. Those people have the money to spend and some of their equipment could use for an upgrade, especially with the uptick of Covid inspired uses. The other reasons you guys mentioned are just as valid too.

Editor

A lot seems to be going on around Canon's corner because back in April, the company released the EOS webcam utility application for Windows. All you need is a single USB plug to connect to the camera. Once the software is in place and the camera configured with a video conferencing application, you are good to go!

Paul Stevens

Canon is announcing a new software that allows some of their models to double as a webcam on Mac OS. The selling points are more angles and higher definition than your typical fare.
I think it will definitely appeal to exercise/personal fitness gurus, many of whom are seeing clients over webcam due to the pandemic. Do you think it could be used to stream a church service? That's another hot market.

SamanthaL.

Due to the coronavirus pandemic some professionals are seeing their clients over webcam instead of having them come into the office. It makes sense to use a professional camera for that. The webcams that are built into our laptops really aren't that customizable and their output isn't that nice.

Mobile 5

Do you think it could be used to stream a church service? That's another hot market.

You're right, churches are doing this too. The size of the church will determine the type of equipment used to live stream. Mevo is popular for this application.

Chappel

Even after we have seen the end of the coronavirus pandemic, I think a lot of people will appreciate the convenience of video conferencing, virtual training sessions, live stream sermons etc. Think of the benefits ecologically. There is a downside for local businesses, but I there will be a shift in habits globally, and the webcam industry will boom.

Vid Syd

Think of the benefits ecologically.

Remember right after the first time people all over the world were being quarantined? The satellite pictures of the earth and how clean the air was? We need to keep images like that circulating so people don't forget that the changes are big and immediate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan