Buy or Rent?

Magz

When you got started as a videographer and didn't have so many clients, did you still buy your own equipment or did you just rent it for the events? I imagine it would be really expensive to buy it when you don't have a lot of jobs happening, right?

Portrait

I started by working for someone who already had most of the equipment. It took me a year to begin assembling what I needed. Again, renting has its risks, so it better to purchase when you are ready.

Editor

I started with one camera and would only rent extra equipment when it was necessary. Again, not everyone easily entrusts you with photography equipment, and friends can lose trust in each other if something gets damaged or broken.

Vivid

There are many photography equipment rentals, but I am not sure if it is affordable in the long run. However, it makes sense if a beginner rents equipment for an event and makes a profit.

Madhatter

I wonder if buying second-handed equipment is also a good idea. I’d love to own the equipment. But first-handed ones could be expensive.

ShutterUp

I wonder if buying second-handed equipment is also a good idea. I’d love to own the equipment. But first-handed ones could be expensive.
You can get good deals on second-hand photography equipment. For pre-owned cameras, it is advisable to check the shutter count to know its condition. Always ensure to buy from a trusted seller and to also look out for any external damage.

Vivid

It is possible to get good deals on pre-owned equipment, but as a buyer, you have to consider the condition and warranty terms, where applicable. Some people buy equipment only to lose interest in them. I have come across pre-owned cameras that had very low shutter counts and that had fair price tags.

Carrie

I think the best thing to do when you are getting started is to rent. Alternatively, you could wait for good deals like the ones on Black Friday for example.

ClickExpert

I think the best thing to do when you are getting started is to rent. Alternatively, you could wait for good deals like the ones on Black Friday for example.
I agree, but even the Black Friday deals have to offer value for money. A photographer should make business considerations before making a purchase. As beginners, we may incur losses when renting initially, but this helps to build the brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan