Books adapted into movies

Madhatter

What do you think about books being adapted into movies? Do they usually turn better or worse? Seeing a lot of dissatisfaction throughout the years, I wonder what can the industry do better in turning books into motion pictures.

TheBlueElephant

I think it really depends and is best handled on a case-by-case basis. For example, the Lord of the Rings adaptions are well regarded and well received. I saw the Artemis Fowl adaption recently (my kids insisted) and that was not an impressive adaption. It felt like Disney just took the name and slapped it on something that vaguely resembled the book.

I think that if the adaptor keeps to the spirit of the text, and keeps lots of the same plot beats, an adaptation can be successful.

PictureHub

Many film adaptations of books turn out well, but it is almost impossible to replicate every scene happening in the book. Somehow, the films end up being summaries. I look forward to watching the movie adaptation of Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Has anyone read this book?

Portrait

Some people will not read a book but will watch a film adaptation instead. Like @PictureHub mentions, a film summarizes a lot of what happens in a book. I am yet to read a book and watch the movie adaptation; it should be fun to do so!

ClickExpert

What do you think about books being adapted into movies? Do they usually turn better or worse? Seeing a lot of dissatisfaction throughout the years, I wonder what can the industry do better in turning books into motion pictures.
It depends on many things, including the approach used in the adaptation. Does the dissatisfaction a result from poorly directed movies? It can also be challenging to create excellent movie adaptations of best sellers.

TheBlueElephant

It depends on many things, including the approach used in the adaptation. Does the dissatisfaction a result from poorly directed movies? It can also be challenging to create excellent movie adaptations of best sellers.
Oftentimes, movies cram so much material into a small space that it's almost impossible for the adaption to be successful. I think that books that are adapted into TV shows have a better chance of success. The director has more time to develop the characters and the story beats.

Magz

I have watched a lot of movies that were adapted from books. Some of them were brilliant, while others were complete garbage. It all depends on the book, the movie director, and it also depends on the audience. I could like a movie adaptation that everybody thinks is terrible, and vice versa.

Carrie

I don't think I have ever liked a movie adaptation. First, because I have almost always read the book before watching the movie, and second because the movies tend to cut out a LOT of detail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc