Best drone for under a grand?

Rachel

I'd like to get a drone that can take photos and videos and I'd like to keep it under $1,000 if possible. I'm not looking for anything that produces top-notch content. I just want the drone for casual use. Any recommendations? Is my budget too low?

ePIC

DJI offers several drones that meet that criteria and in my opinion, they're the company that offers the most bang for the buck when it comes to drones. Check out their drones to see which one will suit your needs best. To me, battery life matters the most because it's a huge bummer to be playing around and have to stop in order to recharge. A lot of times the scenery has already changed before you can get back out there and finish up. It's worth it to get an extra battery if you can.

Pixels

DJI offers several drones that meet that criteria and in my opinion, they're the company that offers the most bang for the buck when it comes to drones. Check out their drones to see which one will suit your needs best. To me, battery life matters the most because it's a huge bummer to be playing around and have to stop in order to recharge. A lot of times the scenery has already changed before you can get back out there and finish up. It's worth it to get an extra battery if you can.
My exact sentiments! Again, you may want to go for something that you can put into use after grad. I don't own a drone, but with their rising popularity, it may be a short while before everyone gets caught up with the craze.

Rachel

They've got so many to choose from that I'm struggling to narrow it down. I initially thought my budget might be too low, but instead I've fallen into a sea of choices. Which of the Mavic drones do you like the best? Do you think it would be worth it to up my budget a bit and splurge on the latest Phantom? I'm so torn.

ePIC

Do you think it would be worth it to up my budget a bit and splurge on the latest Phantom?
Is this your first drone, Rachel? If you've never flown one before, then you definitely shouldn't splurge on something costly because you're likely to crash it a few times. I'd buy a cheap drone to get my feet wet and wouldn't worry about whether it took photos and videos. I'm sorry for not telling you that the first time I responded to your thread. I just didn't think about it.

Rachel

That's okay, @ePIC. I've used drones before and owned a very cheap drone when they first became popular. I've never tried taking photos or videos with one though. I feel okay about flying a drone.

SamanthaL.

Do you think it would be worth it to up my budget a bit and splurge on the latest Phantom?
I'm jumping in to say that you should stick with the initial budget you set. Just remember what other equipment you could buy for that money and it will ground you in reality. You haven't mentioned needing this drone for a professional service. Even if you think you could use it down the road professionally, you chose your budget for a reason.

LifeCaptured

I think SamanthaL. is right about sticking to your budget because you can get a decent drone for that amount that shoots stills and video. I'd go for whichever model allowed me to buy an extra battery.

ePIC

I'd go with the Mavic Mini in your shoes. It's as lightweight as a smartphone and the battery lasts for about minutes. Plus it's less than $400 so you'll be able to snag another battery and remain within your budget. It's a small enough drone that you won't even have to register it. I own one and it's easy to use. It takes pretty good images too.

Rachel

I just ordered it, @ePIC. I can't wait to try it out. I really appreciate all the help and little tips you guys provided. I'm especially glad that I got reigned back in when I was ready to splurge on the more expensive drone. I'm happy that I stuck to my budget and so is my wallet.

Paul Stevens

I hope you enjoy it, Rachel. I've thought about getting one of those drones myself. I find it comforting that they offer propeller protection. It would be my luck to crash it into oblivion the first try.

Pixels

If you've never flown one before, then you definitely shouldn't splurge on something costly because you're likely to crash it a few times. I'd buy a cheap drone to get my feet wet and wouldn't worry about whether it took photos and videos.
Whereas I agree with you, I also think that @Rachel shouldn't limit her options based on inexperience. Tons of online resources can be of help to a newbie. It is easy to come across discounted deals throughout the year!

Vivid

I would rather you got your feet wet first before investing in one. What do you mean by 'casual' use? You may not see it now, but investing in a quality drone could benefit you in the future!

Chappel

Rachel, I hope you keep us posted when you put your Mavic Mini to the test. I am now thinking of getting one myself. Just make sure you don't fly it over Harry and Meghan's place, or you might get into trouble!

Markshot 12

It is easy to come across discounted deals throughout the year!

And as time goes by, even the highest end equipment now will see lower prices month by month. The best way to learn is by doing and cost shouldn't be too much of an issue in the near future.

Beck

It's getting to be that time of year to start thinking about brand loyalty again. Prices will get lower and even the best quality drone will be less than a grand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc