Astrophotography

Pixels

I am quite familiar with portrait photography, still life, and editorial photography. However, I have started getting interested in astronomical objects and areas of the night sky. It would be amazing to get a close-up picture of the moon! Would I require special equipment and techniques for this kind of photography?

Markshot 12

Well, a long lens is a good start. Have you seen all the pictures of the Milky Way that have been making the internet rounds?

Long Lens.

take1

Astrophotography is a fascinating subject. The moon is probably the only subject you are going to be able to target without very specialized equipment. But the good news is, with a tripod, a long lens, and a decent camera, you should be able to get some good shots. Put some foreground into the shot if possible to give the photograph scale.

Pixels

Well, a long lens is a good start. Have you seen all the pictures of the Milky Way that have been making the internet rounds? Long Lens.
Ooh yes, I saw those pictures, and they are among the factors that made me more interested. I will start with the basics, get the equipment, and progress slowly. @take1, is there a specific camera model that you would recommend?

Beck

The advancements in telescope capabilities is nothing short of amazing. It's just a matter of time before camera advancements move in that direction as well.

As least I hope they do.

take1

Well, @Pixels, the Canon EOS 60 Da is a camera that is specifically designed for astrophotography. The "a" in the name actually stands for "astrophotography."
The 60 Da does not require any modifications for the amateur astro-photographer to capture their images. However, it is not suitable for normal, daytime photography, as the color tint is designed just for night sky photography. Unless, of course, you are seeking the effect it will give to your image. I want one of these cameras myself!

Pixels

Coincidentally, I asked around and got a similar response. The Sony a7R III mirrorless camera and Nikon D7500 DX-Format Digital SLR are the others I could consider.

Mushroom

If I have the time, I wish to invest my energy into astrophotography as well! I‘m sure it‘s definitely eye-opening and mind-opening. I always like looking at those photos. It’s just aesthetically pleasing.

Len S

I don't know about "specialized" equipment, other then options on the camera that can get an up close shot. There are plenty on the market right now.

take1

Has anyone, since my last post, managed to take any decent sky or moon shots? I have attempted some, but I really haven't succeeded in taking an image I am happy with.
I would love to take something like this -
1moon.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pippercc