Are Questions Sufficient?

Culture Shot

Documentaries mostly contain interviews where local people would often state impromptu answers. Watching these often made me think that there's no need for long scripts for these kinds of films. Preparing questions is still needed, but I think that covers it.

Rachel

I find that documentaries are tricky because it's so easy to make them appear overly scripted. Although there's a huge gray area between boring and sensationalized, few directors nail it.

Lily Stew

Preparing questions help to obtain necessary information, but scripts are the pieces that let you see the whole picture. It's like an outline or a plan if you would like to call it that. Having it will help a film become more organized and have a single direction. I don't think questions will suffice.

Fairytale Studios

This isn't my niche, but wouldn't it be better to just let the people talk about whatever they wish? I've always assumed that the filmmaker became part of the muted background while shooting a documentary.

Carrie

This isn't my niche, but wouldn't it be better to just let the people talk about whatever they wish? I've always assumed that the filmmaker became part of the muted background while shooting a documentary.
Exactly! I mean, what is the point of making a documentary film if you want to control what people are saying? Isn't the getting their honest opinions the whole point of it?

LifeCaptured

I don't know, man, I think if I was a subject in a documentary, I'd appreciate having some questions to answer in order to break the ice. Plus, I have a tendency to ramble, and a few prepared questions could help me stay on track. I can see it both ways, I guess.

Plankton

I can see a documentary ending up as disorganized if there's no script for it to follow. It doesn't have to be a word-per-word dialogue, but only a guide that helps the interviewer and the production team.

Darlene

I don't know, man, I think if I was a subject in a documentary, I'd appreciate having some questions to answer in order to break the ice. Plus, I have a tendency to ramble, and a few prepared questions could help me stay on track. I can see it both ways, I guess.
I agree with you. Having a couple of questions prepared is a good thing to kind of have a structured conversation. However, I don't really like the idea of controlling what people would say.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryan